Dana 44 gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 44 gears

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Dana 44 gears

How interchangeable are Dana 44s? I have a 44 out of a Scout and I am wondering if these would work in it:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/3509947336.html

RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
CSP

Those will work in it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Of course the Dana 44 has a carrier break. If your carrier in the Scout axle had 3.73 gears or lower numerically then you have a Series 3 carrier. Standard thickness 4.10 Dana 44 gears require a series 4 carrier which has a longer deck height than a series 3 carrier. You can get thick Dana 44 4.10 gears which would fit a series 3 carrier. TJ rubicon Dana 44 gear sets are all thick but they have slightly larger ring bolts than the older Dana 44 carrier had. So you could buy a TJ rubicon Dana 44 gear set and just drill out the holes a little on a series 3 standard Dana 44 carrier to be able to fit them on it. I see TJ rubicon D44 4.10 gears go on ebay for $10. The 4.10 was standard from the factory in the TJ rubicon Dana 44 rear axles. Note that a JK rubicon Dana 44 axle is a different animal and parts for that are not compatible with all the older Dana 44 axles.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Of course the Dana 44 has a carrier break. If your carrier in the Scout axle had 3.73 gears or lower numerically then you have a Series 3 carrier. Standard thickness 4.10 Dana 44 gears require a series 4 carrier which has a longer deck height than a series 3 carrier. You can get thick Dana 44 4.10 gears which would fit a series 3 carrier. TJ rubicon Dana 44 gear sets are all thick but they have slightly larger ring bolts than the older Dana 44 carrier had. So you could buy a TJ rubicon Dana 44 gear set and just drill out the holes a little on a series 3 standard Dana 44 carrier to be able to fit them on it. I see TJ rubicon D44 4.10 gears go on ebay for $10. The 4.10 was standard from the factory in the TJ rubicon Dana 44 rear axles. Note that a JK rubicon Dana 44 axle is a different animal and parts for that are not compatible with all the older Dana 44 axles.
I was going to put a TruTrac in it so the carrier will be replaced. I think it has 3.54 gears in it now. I was going to leave the stock axles in it since I am only running 33s and the biggest engine I plan to put in is a 4.0L HO. Those should hold up okay under that load right?
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I was going to put a TruTrac in it so the carrier will be replaced. I think it has 3.54 gears in it now. I was going to leave the stock axles in it since I am only running 33s and the biggest engine I plan to put in is a 4.0L HO. Those should hold up okay under that load right?
Yes I ran 33" tires and 4.30 gears for several years with my AMC 258 and a scout II Dana 44 front and back. You will need a series 4 carrier to go with those gears in the picture.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The carrier ratio break on a D44 is 3.73 and down and 3.92 and up.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.