Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

dana 44 front????

Tags
cj7 dana 44
4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  skorp1702 
#1 ·
does anyone know of a website i can get a dana44 front axle for my 86 cj7 with differential on pass side?

#6 ·
Sams Offroad as well sells them as bolt ins

#8 ·
Wasnt lying about opening the wallet dynatrac wants 5700 currie wants 3500 reusing all my dana 30 brakes bearings and knuckles and sams is the one im going with dana 44 detroit locked locking hubs 410 gears and already oiled for 3500 thanks for the help guys

#11 ·
yeah i was going to try an old ford or scout but i cant find one around my house with the correct width or within a couple inches difference. this is a daily driver iv driven miles with this jeep and plan on keeping it for a very long time ie till it collapses into pieces on the trail or rd so thats the reason for the new front end. i appreciate all yalls help and appreciate any others that might not of been listed if any knows anywhere else besides the ones listed above id be happy to indulge myself in another phone call.

#13 ·
It seems like you got some money to spend if you were considering a crate axle. If you're serious about putting a dana 44 in there you can always go to the junkyard and pick up a full width 44. Jigs are only needed for shortening rear axles, front axles are much easier and cheaper. You can cut both tubes down to the width you want, cutting 4" more on the long side of course so you don't have to outboard. Cut off saw will do the trick. Then you can either buy new inner c's or cut the tube out of the ones you have with a sawzall. It can be a PITA, but it's possible. Pound them back on and weld. Moser will shorten both axles for $125.

The advantage of this route is you can set your pinion angle to the correct angle instead of sacrificing it for caster and you can set the WMS to whatever you want.
Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad.

#14 ·
Get a narrow track Waggy axle from 74-79. Those are passenger drop and from ball joint to ball joint they are only about 1/8" wider than a scout II front axle. The waggy axle has the pumpkin more offset toward the center than a scout axle is and it also has some caster from the factory. A scout II front axle has zero caster unless it is a 1980 and that one only has 1.5 degrees as I recall. The other choice is to buy a chevy truck front D44 and cut 4" off the long side. Supposedly that makes a long waggy shaft fit the long side and leaves you with a CJ compatible axle width. The pumpkin on this modified chevy axle is far enough to the inside to not require outboarding of spring hangars too.

#15 ·
The other choice is to buy a chevy truck front D44 and cut 4" off the long side. Supposedly that makes a long waggy shaft fit the long side and leaves you with a CJ compatible axle width. The pumpkin on this modified chevy axle is far enough to the inside to not require outboarding of spring hangars too.
Any 80-91 long side waggie shaft works in this manner. The '79 and older do not as they are not the same length as the later ones.

As for width, a five lug Chevy narrowed 4" will be 66.5" wms to wms. It's still pretty wide and wider than a stock Waggie or Scout by several inches. Six lug will be 65.5" and eight lug will be 67.5" (my CJ5 has this setup).

Outboarding isn't required on any of these 44s (Scout, Waggie, Chevy) as long as they are narrowed.

The other thing to consider is the Chevy is setup for springs on top of the axle and the Waggie is under like a stock CJ is configured.

#17 ·
Wow lot of input. Thanks guys im trying to keep the stock width i would try a junkyard but for everything yall listed especially the ford its a short supply down where im at and a jeep is ussually in someones pasture And wouldnt sell it if there was an oak tree growing thru the middle . Iv been looking a couple months the reason im going with the crate is mostly cause itll be already new pieces and i wont have to worry about rebuilding and or getting one with a bent tube and mess up something else. I have a yearly bonus thats coming up thats going to pay for it all. Plus the rearend rebuild

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.