Dana 44 conversion for CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 44 conversion for CJ7

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #1
spazzzjeep
1983 CJ7 

Dana 44 conversion for CJ7

I have a 83 cj7 wide track that came with a amc20. I found a rear Dana 44 out of a scout II. But the Dana 44 didn't come with brake drums. Pricing those looks around $200 and just for fun I was pricing out disc conversion for the rear Dana 44.

So 3 questions.

1) I have seen some used disc brake conversion kits on eBay for YJ ZJ etc. is it possible to use these on this scout Dana 44? I'm pretty sure I would need new rotors because the CJ is a 5x5.5 tire bolt pattern.

2) if I stick with the drum brakes can I use the parking brake cable off the amc20? It kinda looks like it.

3). Again if I stick with the drum brakes I found some cheaper drums for a old jeep Dana 44 but the gap around the drum and brake plate is larger then normal. I'm guess that would allow more dirt to possibly get up near the brakes? Or is this not a concern?

Thanks.

spazzzjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #2
CrashOdle
1981 CJ7 

I did the scout 44 conversion to my 81 NT, and used WT brake cables, so the answer to #2 is yes.
Unread 01-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
willymitch
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If memory serves me correctly(?) the Scout 44 rear has a different bolt pattern where the brake backing plate bolts on to the axle then the Jeep 44, not sure about the 20, or the YJ/ZJ. So if you want to do a disc brake conversion you may have to redrill the caliper hangers to match?
willymitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
spazzzjeep
1983 CJ7 

I could also go his route and use Chevy calipers?

Unread 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
willymitch
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzzjeep View Post

Yup that could be made to work. I'm thinking the Scout 44 had a 4 bolt pattern that was not evenly spaced, but not sure.
willymitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
spazzzjeep
1983 CJ7 

Yes. Here's a pic of the Dana 44. Not evenly spaced.
Unread 01-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzzjeep View Post

That is a conversion for the front axle, I doubt the spacing would be correct for the rear. Last disk conversion we did, new style/thin CJ front rotors with the studs pressed through the them then the axle shaft. Cut down backing plate to use just as a retainer. Then GM metric calipers with weld on brackets from Speedway motors. No E-Brake right now, but would just need to move to the e-brake metric calipers and fab a quick bracket for the cables.
Unread 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
taklbury
1980 CJ7 

I'm running the same rear axle. I used Parts Mike for my rear disc conversion years ago. No E-brake though. He may have something better now.
taklbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.