Dana 44 Bearing Caps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

Dana 44 Bearing Caps

I removed the bearing caps on a Dana 44 alxe. The caps were marked and you can still see the factory letter marks on the caps and the housing gasket surface. When I install the caps back in the housing without bearing cups one side is flush/smooth and the other side has a lip about .001. Is this normal? When the bearing cups are installed and the cap loosely tightened there is no space around the cup in any location. I know the caps are line honed / machined at the factory but this lip has me wondering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

Just to clarify. On both bearing journals with the bearing cups removed there is a slight lip. On the top part of the journals the joint is flush. On the bottom part of the journals there is a very small lip.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I don't understand what you are talking about. Can you post a picture.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

Hey foggy. I am not at the shop so I cannot get a photo. Imagine the bearing caps installed without the bearing races, bearings or carrier. If you run your finger around the inside of the surface where the bearing race would go one seam is flush and the other seam has a small lip. I was under the impression that the surface would be perfectly smooth since it was honed at the factory.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Let me ask this, is the lip you feel on the housing side (cap is spread) or the cap side (cap is squeezed)?

I'm going to assume the answer is the housing side as if the cap has been spread. I would consider that normal to have a small .001 lip because they should be perfect during initial manufacturing but there has to be enough room to squeeze tight on the bearing race. The cap is the likely part to distort from that pressure, not the housing. The .001" lip you described is a non issue IMHO.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

Coiz the lip is on the cap side. The cap seems like it has been squeezed from the ends and the lip is only on one side. When I put the race into just the bearing cap it pinches the race just a bit at the ends. I didn't think it was a huge deal but after reading so much prior to the gear change I started to question it. Watched your YouTube video the other day. Your jeep sounds great. I can see where that makes it tough to keep off the skinny pedal.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
Coiz the lip is on the cap side. The cap seems like it has been squeezed from the ends and the lip is only on one side. When I put the race into just the bearing cap it pinches the race just a bit at the ends.
I still don't think I would worry about it because thinking about that the other way around, if the cap barely squeezes the bearing race at the ends, it will spread open slightly and supply even load on the bearing race when torqued down.

Quote:
Watched your YouTube video the other day. Your jeep sounds great. I can see where that makes it tough to keep off the skinny pedal.
Thanks. It is tough to stay off that skinny pedal but it is just too much fun. I hate having that fine line between having fun and breaking stuff but I built it to drive so that's what I'm going to do.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

There is a recessed lip on a bearing cap and as I recall the recess faces toward the inside of the housing when they are installed correctly. Go by the orientation of the stamped letters and you will be right.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
SpringPro
1977 CJ7 

I believe that the recess does face inward and the the factory stamped letters match up so i believe all is well.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM
5-90

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I removed the bearing caps on a Dana 44 alxe. The caps were marked and you can still see the factory letter marks on the caps and the housing gasket surface. When I install the caps back in the housing without bearing cups one side is flush/smooth and the other side has a lip about .001. Is this normal? When the bearing cups are installed and the cap loosely tightened there is no space around the cup in any location. I know the caps are line honed / machined at the factory but this lip has me wondering.
No. May have been switched around or something - as you note, the caps are torqued and align machined prior to assembly, to ensure proper and consistent bearing crush. Having a lip on the inside of the bore will create a "spot crush" in the bearing - which increases stress in a small area, and leads to premature bearing failure.

Same problem you run into with the slipper bearings in the bottom of the engine - only there's no rollers, so the wear happens much more quickly and the results can be rather more drastic...

"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.