Dana 300 twin stick 4wd switch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300 twin stick 4wd switch question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Dana 300 twin stick 4wd switch question

I am just finishing the Dana 300 4:1 and twin stick upgrade and was thinking about the two holes by the shift rail, one of which is used to indicate '4wd' on the dash, the other has a screw in cap.

IF you were to add another switch to the 2nd shift rail in place of the cap, what would it be indicating and when? Is there a point to do it?

I'm thinking it could be a HI/LO indicator or Front /Rear ... just can't figure it out all by myself!

Any thoughts folks ?

billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Myself I'd say there's no need for that but if you really want more wires and switches I'd think you'd need a 3 position switch as the H/L lever has 3 positions, high, neutral, low. Then 3 lights on the dash that will indicate if your in high, neutral or low.
Booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Doing so may prevent a low range rear, high range front situation. At least you would know what position each rail is in at a glance.

I would use tri-color LED lights. Depending on the direction of current, determines the color of the LED. I use one in my Superduty to keep track of the torque converter and if its locked up, or manually locked up (I have a switch that locks it in manually, but if I try to stop with it locked in, its like trying to stop with out pushing in the clutch).

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Doing so may prevent a low range rear, high range front situation. At least you would know what position each rail is in at a glance.

I would use tri-color LED lights. Depending on the direction of current, determines the color of the LED. I use one in my Superduty to keep track of the torque converter and if its locked up, or manually locked up (I have a switch that locks it in manually, but if I try to stop with it locked in, its like trying to stop with out pushing in the clutch).
Love that idea! Ill have to investigate! Thankyou
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Better look in the hole first. Make sure something is moving in there....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Better look in the hole first. Make sure something is moving in there....
Good point...when its all together ill do that! Thx
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
RARECJ8

i use the advance adapter twin kit and after couple times engaging the various combinations one can tell pretty quick whether its in hi, low or N. doing lights sounds complicated, but cool factor for sure.

edit: in this pic the rear (left) is in (forward) low range position to manouver into and out of shop and front (right) is at neutral. (if front hubs are disengaged, it doesn't really matter) but one can clearly see the split between the two

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8
i use the advance adapter twin kit and after couple times engaging the various combinations one can tell pretty quick whether its in hi, low or N. doing lights sounds complicated, but cool factor for sure.

edit: in this pic the rear (left) is in (forward) low range position to manouver into and out of shop and front (right) is at neutral. (if front hubs are disengaged, it doesn't really matter) but one can clearly see the split between the two
I think ill figure it out, just thinking coolnisity while its sitting on the bench!
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

two switches would give you 4 indications.

0-0
0-1
1-0
1-1

I was looking into adding one of these switches on my D-20 when I had it also but the hole was to deep for the normal switch off a 300 to work.

RareCJ8, is that a SCCA plaque on your dash?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
two switches would give you 4 indications.

0-0
0-1
1-0
1-1

I was looking into adding one of these switches on my D-20 when I had it also but the hole was to deep for the normal switch off a 300 to work.

They look like soccer scores!
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
No, sorry. Some are from the now defunct Nevada 4 Wheelers Association, one is from California Association of 4 wheel drive clubs and the larger is a dash plaque for the annual sierra Trek-- specifically 'star trek' the fabled night run.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.