Dana 300 shifter adjustment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300 shifter adjustment?

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

Dana 300 shifter adjustment?

Can you adjust the shifter on a dana 300?
Mine works in 4wheel low, if I ram it forward. Can't get it in 4wheel high (doesn't seem to go back far enough).
But, it does shift fairly easily, unlike some 4x4's i've owned.
I haven't had the transfer case out, but I did have the shifter out when I changed tubs.
I did a search, but didn't see anything pertaining to my issue.
The transfer case could be just wore out, I reckon, but i'm hoping I can adjust the linkage somehow and make it work right.
A little history on the Jeep: PO died after having both axles rebuilt, new u-joints, and new brakes all around. As far as I know, transfer case is original and untouched. The engine was rebuilt at some point. It runs great, actually, especially since I had the weber rebuilt. And it has a nutter bypass.
Anyway, PO's kids played with it for a while then it sat for 3 years or so till I bought it.
I tried 4x4 when I bought it, in low range, but didn't try high range.
Considered going with twin sticks, since it's pretty reasonable to do so, but If it's just wore out, then why waste the money.

On a side note, if i ever wreck my dodge, I'd like to somehow stick the hemi, trans, transfer case, and limited slip axles under the Jeep. Although mentioning IFS and CJ in the same sentence seems to bring gasps of horror, as well as thrown food. I think I saw one guy with a noose.

jmtw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Getting in and out of 4x4 can be difficult so the shifter gets hit on hard sometimes. Maybe the pivot pins where the shifter and rods hook up are bent or worn. Are you driving at speed when trying to shift? Moving helps, really slow for low, but any legal speed is ok for high.
Sometimes a body mount lift can interfere with the shift range or maybe the tub sits too far forward so the shifter is hanging up? Removing the boot would tell you.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

I've always shifted into and from 4wheel drive from a standstill. Although on an old GMC, I used to have to rock it, sometimes, to get it out of 4x4.
So, it can't be adjusted?
It's not hitting the tub. It just comes to a dead stop before engaging in high, and I can ram it with force to get it in low.
Unread 05-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There is no adjustment. Usually 4H is much easier to get into than 4L on a D300.

As mentioned, the shifter linkage may be worn, or damaged. Or the D300 needs a rebuild.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Have a buddy try to shift it (engine off at a stand still) as your under the jeep looking at the shifter to see if its hitting the tunnel cover at the rear. IF it is, the transmission may have been swapped out. There are at least 2 dana 300 shift levers that I know of for different transmissions due to the length and where the lever needs to exit on the tunnel cover.
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:16 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtw View Post
I've always shifted into and from 4wheel drive from a standstill. Although on an old GMC, I used to have to rock it, sometimes, to get it out of 4x4.
So, it can't be adjusted?
It's not hitting the tub. It just comes to a dead stop before engaging in high, and I can ram it with force to get it in low.
The CJ owners manual says you need a 'firm hand' when shifting and rolling slow in low helps. There are no syncros. Have you tried high when you are moving?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #7
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

No, but i will. Thanks guys, for the opinions.
Unread Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #8
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

This may seem obvious, but check to make sure the shifter is not hitting the access panel. I had this problem. The boot was hiding the fact that the shifter would hit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.