Dana 300 issues help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300 issues help please

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
RARECJ8

Dana 300 issues help please

About a year ago my D300 momentarily popped out of gear while in low range going down a steep descent. Then never again. Just last Saturday however it happened several times on the Peavine run. Going forward under power up hill or level, it is fine, but descending a steep hill, etc using engine braking causes the T case to go BAM! and momentarily jump or slip a gear, then it holds in gear. It doesn't pop out into neutral, rather a sickening BAM sound and the drive train takes a very hard hit like it's not fully engaged, but it does stay in gear. I tried this in all 4 fwd gears on the T175 and no change.

The t-case lever is tight and feels like its properly engaged. It does not hit any sheet metal. I tried it w/ front hubs unlocked and it still did it. Went into 4 high and it did not happen-- back to 4 low range and then it happede-- tested and it repeated that several times. So the T case works fine in 4 high or 2 high but gets fussy in 4 low.

I know it is the T-case, since i experimented with different combinations of crawler box with T-case in and out. Not the tranny or R/P gears.

Preliminary research shows it can be: bent shift fork, bad or reversed clutch sleeve, bad selector ring or bad shift rail detent springs.

Before it gets all torn out of the rig, which is a PITA, any way to further isolate or verify the problem?

It only happens in 4 low descending a steep incline under engine brake.

Ideas anyone? The case is not clocked and is a single stick.

tnx

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The highest probability is your detent springs. Novack recommends placing a washer for a #10 or 12 machine screw under them when you rebuild your T Case for this exact reason.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.