Dana 300 issues help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300 issues help please

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
RARECJ8

Dana 300 issues help please

About a year ago my D300 momentarily popped out of gear while in low range going down a steep descent. Then never again. Just last Saturday however it happened several times on the Peavine run. Going forward under power up hill or level, it is fine, but descending a steep hill, etc using engine braking causes the T case to go BAM! and momentarily jump or slip a gear, then it holds in gear. It doesn't pop out into neutral, rather a sickening BAM sound and the drive train takes a very hard hit like it's not fully engaged, but it does stay in gear. I tried this in all 4 fwd gears on the T175 and no change.

The t-case lever is tight and feels like its properly engaged. It does not hit any sheet metal. I tried it w/ front hubs unlocked and it still did it. Went into 4 high and it did not happen-- back to 4 low range and then it happede-- tested and it repeated that several times. So the T case works fine in 4 high or 2 high but gets fussy in 4 low.

I know it is the T-case, since i experimented with different combinations of crawler box with T-case in and out. Not the tranny or R/P gears.

Preliminary research shows it can be: bent shift fork, bad or reversed clutch sleeve, bad selector ring or bad shift rail detent springs.

Before it gets all torn out of the rig, which is a PITA, any way to further isolate or verify the problem?

It only happens in 4 low descending a steep incline under engine brake.

Ideas anyone? The case is not clocked and is a single stick.

tnx

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The highest probability is your detent springs. Novack recommends placing a washer for a #10 or 12 machine screw under them when you rebuild your T Case for this exact reason.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.