Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 300 input shaft bearing

Tags
cj7 dana 300
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tripmaker 
#1 ·
My Dana 300 was leaking from even possible spot, so I decided to rebuild it. I bought a seals kit, intermediate shaft kit, and decided to purchase the bearings separately. I'm starting the rebuild process and pulled out my the input shaft bearing. I purchased replacement bearing 8131682. However, my original bearing does not have the groove around the edge that the new bearing does. Anyone pressed one of these in? Do I just need to order another? Thanks for all of your help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Appreciate the confirmation. I just hated to spend the time rebuilding it with an incorrect bearing or not being sure and always thinking about it. I bought the seal kit and Intermediate from Novak. The seal kit was just a run of the mill Crown kit at a marked up price. I felt a little ripped-off on that purchase. The rest of the bearings; I just ordered Timken's from Amazon. I found a list of them on another post. I found everything except the input shaft bearing and intermediate shaft bearing spacer I ordered from Morris.

I was originally just going to do the seals, but figured MAW replace the bearings since it looked like the case had never been opened before, and some muck and mud had made it behind the oil seals on both front and rear.

Good luck on your seals

Reauxtide

#5 ·
I'm sorting out all of the parts in the intermediate kit from Novak as well as grouping everything. I've studied the parts and the exploded view of the Dana 300 and feel a little lost. I assume that 2 of the spacers go on the intermediate shaft. I'm not sure about the 3rd. It looks like the same parts are in the Crown small parts kit. Can anyone help me ID where these parts in the pic are supposed to go?

Thanks!

Attachments

#6 ·
MikeBCJ said:
Tripmaker, can you give me a ballpark amount of time and any pointers you may pick to do the seals? Parts are on the way. Thanks.
The one thing that a must is take your time. If you are just replacing the seals that's not too hard clean the case and match mark the cover i.e. Scribe one mark so when you put it back it's like it came off. I use RTV on the gaskets and on the bolts as they past in to the case. You might need a gear puller to get the yokes off . Hope this helps.
Have fun and good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

trip maker

#7 ·
Reauxtide said:
I'm sorting out all of the parts in the intermediate kit from Novak as well as grouping everything. I've studied the parts and the exploded view of the Dana 300 and feel a little lost. I assume that 2 of the spacers go on the intermediate shaft. I'm not sure about the 3rd. It looks like the same parts are in the Crown small parts kit. Can anyone help me ID where these parts in the pic are supposed to go? Thanks!
If the old spacers are still good just go back with them. The bearing are going back in the same place as the old ones that way you don't have to figure out preload and spacing. That's my .02 worth.
Good luck

trip maker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.