dana 300, difficult to shift, stock shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dana 300, difficult to shift, stock shifter

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

dana 300, difficult to shift, stock shifter

when i shift the case grinds and drops, i have the stock single shifter.

is this normal???????

once you are in a gear its great but its very hard to select and you have to be brutal when shifting.

would a twin stick setup have any bennifit???

nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is there slop in the linkage? My 300 was very smooth shifting. What are you trying to shift into when it does it?
OlivergreenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

It grinds? are you trying to shift while driving? Your supposed to be stopped when shifting or a slow roll in neutral. I have problems shifting in and out of 4lo but if i get rolling in reverse then push in the clutch It will shift fine.
Mike78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

After putting a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 and seeing how it goes together, it is easy to understand why they are hard to shift. With a single shifter you have to have the gear teeth on both output shafts lined up at the same time. This takes a bit of rolling around and turning the wheels to accomplish. I put twin sticks on mine and it is easy to shift now since each output shaft can be shifted separately. Twin stick is the only thing that is going to make a dana 300 easy to shift.
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

i have an auto=no clutch

have been shifting i nuetral stopped, will have to try rolling slow.

my linkage is stiff no slop present.

the main is is gettin in and out of 2wd and 4wh, once you are in the forward 2 gears it butter which is funny cause everywhere i read it seams like 4 low is the though one for most other people
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Twin Sticks....Mine did the same thing grinding and being generally unfriendly shifting. When I did my engine swap I went to twin sticks and it shifts super smooth now.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Ziptie2k2
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Twin Sticks....Mine did the same thing grinding and being generally unfriendly shifting. When I did my engine swap I went to twin sticks and it shifts super smooth now.
Same exact thing for me. Twin sticks rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
where do you believe you go when you die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchagrins View Post
you go in the ground, duh.....
Ziptie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Nickmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
i have an auto=no clutch

have been shifting i nuetral stopped, will have to try rolling slow.

my linkage is stiff no slop present.

the main is is gettin in and out of 2wd and 4wh, once you are in the forward 2 gears it butter which is funny cause everywhere i read it seams like 4 low is the though one for most other people
The problem is with the auto and having it in neutral when shifting the transfer case. Try putting the trans in park first to stop the shafts from spinning. In neutral the output shaft of the trans is still spinning due to friction of the fluid and all the rotating components. This causes the input gear of the transfer case to spin, even though the transmission is in neutral. VERY common on 4x4 vehicles with automatic transmissions.
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

How hard was the twin stick conversion?
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Should be fairly easy to do once you have all the parts collected up. Doing the mods to the shift rails to allow 2L/2H (F) - 2L/2H (R) - 4L/4H is about the only tough part. The external stuff is just bolting up the shifters and making sure they don't clash against each other which seems to involve some bending and tweaking.

As to the OP about the D300. Seems to me they are always balky since you are trying to line up two different spline shafts from a single input. My previous setup (151/SR4) would pop into 4H very well but it needed to be nudged a bit getting into 4L, sometimes would slip like silk, other times it would be a fight.
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #11
Ziptie2k2
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
How hard was the twin stick conversion?
I bought the kit from Quadratec a few years ago and it went in pretty easily. If you are good with fabrication, I would make your own using 2 D300 shifter arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
where do you believe you go when you die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchagrins View Post
you go in the ground, duh.....
Ziptie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #12
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

i went wheel for the first time in my cj last night and when i went to shift in to 4h it was butter

man this case is unperdictable.
Unread 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
i went wheel for the first time in my cj last night and when i went to shift in to 4h it was butter

man this case is unperdictable.
It's because of what I already said. When you shift into 4 wheel with one stick both of the sliding gears have to line up with their mating gears at the same time. You got lucky yesterday and they happened to be lined up when you shifted. This will rarely be the case. With twin sticks you can separately shift each side so the two sliding gears are not dependent on each other's positions. It is really a simple reason why the D300 is difficult to shift into 4 wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.