Dana 300 clocking question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300 clocking question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Dana 300 clocking question

I'm wondering if there is a reason that you cant drill the holes for a flatter clocking position into the stock adapter between the trans and T-case. If I remember correctly the T case side is circular with holes in it.
Seems like every one buys an adapter or taps the case.

I don't have mine handy to look. but is there a reason why this isn't done?
I'm thinking you could just weld up the old holes if needed and drill new ones in the desired location.

spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

Clocking rings are so cheap that I would not even waste the time on what you are planning. Also using a ring will give you more clocking options.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
CSP

There's no need to weld up the old holes. If you're only clocking it enough that the old holes would be in part of the new hole, you might as well just leave it alone.

If there's enough meat on the adapter to drill it, by all means, drill away. Not all adapters have enough meat though all the way around, or there may be other obstructions like support ribs where you want a hole.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Be advised, you may have to cut off the inner ear of the shifter bracket to clear the side of the transmission.

Considering you have to compromise the strength of the bracket, modify the trans cover and/or tub, fab a new skid and trans mounting bracket, and modify the shifter or go twin sticks, I decided clocking the T-case wasn't worth the effort.

Your mileage may vary,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
There's no need to weld up the old holes. If you're only clocking it enough that the old holes would be in part of the new hole, you might as well just leave it alone.

If there's enough meat on the adapter to drill it, by all means, drill away. Not all adapters have enough meat though all the way around, or there may be other obstructions like support ribs where you want a hole.
I redrilled my Novak adapter. As CSP said mine had ribs on it that I had to miss. I clocked mine 6* as there was a rib in the way at 7*. It hangs about .75" below the frame rails now.
Do be aware that the holes are not on a bolt circle pattern (not evenly spaced)
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I redrilled the holes in the adapter face. No issues.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.