JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Dana 300 advanced adaptor replace input shaft for 700r4 auto tranny (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dana-300-advanced-adaptor-replace-input-shaft-700r4-auto-tranny-832923/)

smokedog 08-07-2009 05:15 PM

Dana 300 advanced adaptor replace input shaft for 700r4 auto tranny
 
I just purchased an adaptor from Advanced Adaptors for my D300 to match up to a 4x4 700r4 automatic transmission. I took some pics and thought I would post the swap up in case it would help someone else. This was my first time doing this and it took about 2 hours. Tools needed - snap ring pliers, channel locks, flat head screwdriver or pry tool, wrenches of course, thread locker, press, allen wrench, rtv, and torque wrench.

First I removed the factory adaptor on the input shaft side of t-case which exposed the input shaft housing held on by allen head bolts. Remove the allen head bolts and use screwdriver or pry bar to place in two tabs for leverage to remove. Mine came out with no problem. Also, the kit comes with 6 - #16x2in studs that are needed to attach new adaptor to t-case. You will need to remove 3 existing bolts and 3 existing studs and replace with the 6 new studs using threadlocker. Don't tighten studs all the way in the t-case. Make sure you leave enough room for lock washer and nut once new adaptor is in place.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1436.jpg

Next I removed the snap ring holding on the gear assembly with snap ring pliers.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1426.jpg

Once I removed the gear assembly I removed another snap ring holding the bearings in. This was a little tricky (probably cause I had never done it before) but I used two flat head screwdrivers and patience.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1428.jpg

Now I was ready to press the old input shaft and bearing out of the housing and press the new input shaft and sealed bearing from advanced adaptor in. Typical harbor freight press but handy.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1433.jpg

Now just reverse the process. Install snap ring back on top of bearing.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1434.jpg

Then slide gear assembly on and install other snap ring.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1435.jpg

Now you are ready to apply small amount of rtv to inside of housing and using allen bolts re-install it to t-case using 10ft lbs of torque. Once I had everything buttoned up I installed new seal (kit came with seal but I put in double lip seal per recommendation by brother-in-law, bdmonist).

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1437.jpg

Lastly put o-ring inside of adaptor and use gasket to install adaptor.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1438.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_1439.jpg

I hope this helps in some way somebody out there on the forum and I thank you guys for all of the help that you have provided me during my build. :cheers2:

carnuck 08-07-2009 11:37 PM

Is the adapter 23 spline? I was curious because someone has told me in the past that 4.3L and 2.8L V6s with 700R4 in S10s were 23 spline and I wondered if they would bolt directly to the D300?

smokedog 08-08-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnuck (Post 7719672)
Is the adapter 23 spline? I was curious because someone has told me in the past that 4.3L and 2.8L V6s with 700R4 in S10s were 23 spline and I wondered if they would bolt directly to the D300?

My kit is part # 50-6309 and it is a 27 spline input shaft.

JeepHammer 08-08-2009 07:44 AM

EXCELLENT WRITE UP!
AND EVEN BETTER PICTURES!


Needs to be a 'STICKY' !!!!!!!

If you are running an SBC the THM-700R4 is a VERY GOOD off road transmission!

Just remember to run the case vent up above water level if you are doing high water or mud bogs!

smokedog 08-08-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHammer (Post 7720230)
EXCELLENT WRITE UP!
AND EVEN BETTER PICTURES!


Needs to be a 'STICKY' !!!!!!!


Thanks Jeephammer. I am just trying to learn and give back. To me that is what makes this forum so awesome!!

jason m 08-08-2009 06:41 PM

nice,

for future referance ( for anybody else considering the swap ) you dont need to buy the hole kit. you can use the 700r stock adapter with one hole modifacation. its the same six bolt pattern except for one hole, it will need to egged out a tad to except the stock dana 300 bolt's.

you can but a 27 spline input shaft from JBconversions around 175.00 http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...nputgears.html
and like i said earlyer use the stock 700r adapter.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222633


jason.

carnuck 08-09-2009 09:21 PM

Are those 27 spline inputs the same as used by Chev on the NP208C? (I have one kicking around)

rbunch4468 06-03-2010 04:51 AM

Question about pressing out the input shaft
 
I've removed the gear external snap ring, and the bearing internal snap ring. My input shaft/bearing assy slides out approx 1/4" from the housing but then binds on something. Shoudl I just apply more press force, or is there something to align/remove to get the input shaft out of the housing?

thx...great write up!

smokedog 06-05-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbunch4468 (Post 9565344)
I've removed the gear external snap ring, and the bearing internal snap ring. My input shaft/bearing assy slides out approx 1/4" from the housing but then binds on something. Shoudl I just apply more press force, or is there something to align/remove to get the input shaft out of the housing?

thx...great write up!

I just pressed mine right on out. I don't recall there being anything for alignment.

Thanks

kjhibbs 10-21-2011 03:13 PM

I know this post is a bit old, but what was the part number for the double lipped seal for the input shaft?

smokedog 10-21-2011 05:58 PM

Not 100% sure but I think it was Timken 473226.

robrich 02-07-2012 01:26 AM

like this ??? I'm interested in what you said
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jason m (Post 7722423)
nice,

for future referance ( for anybody else considering the swap ) you dont need to buy the hole kit. you can use the 700r stock adapter with one hole modifacation. its the same six bolt pattern except for one hole, it will need to egged out a tad to except the stock dana 300 bolt's.

you can but a 27 spline input shaft from JBconversions around 175.00 http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...nputgears.html
and like i said earlyer use the stock 700r adapter.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222633


jason.

Is this the type you mean Jason like one for a 208 t case???

Thise is from one I saw on ebay for like 60 bucks.

...GM transfer case adapter. It came out o;f a 1987 K-10 4x4 Chevy pickup. It fits a 208 transfer case to a 700R4 transmission. The part number on the adapter is 15587798

Cambler 07-13-2012 03:43 PM

What cables did you use?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hello-

I've recently machined my own 700R/D300 conversion adapter and I was wondering if you could tell me which kick down cable and which shifter cable you used. Napa Part #'s would be great!!! The cable I used from the Monte Carlo, I got my TH700R4 from, is very long. Is there a shorter cable I can use?

Thanks for your time.:cheers2:


The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.