dana 300 acting up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dana 300 acting up

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

dana 300 acting up

Okay so this has hapen several times but has fixed it self several time my jeep is not in the best shape so it could just be worn out

Okay so in 2 hi sometimes il be going along and it will just clunk and slip out of gear and u can hear the teeth like grinding but its not loud so I pull it nto 4hi thinking it would re engage the rear driveahaft and I'd be on my way well that doesn't work so I stopped put in 4lo and it moved so I dove a block and tried 4 hi again same thing so I got out locked the hubs in and finished my drive in fwd what seemes to be the issue its done it several times but I have always managed to get the transfer case back in 2hi

jodowii2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodowii2
Okay so this has hapen several times but has fixed it self several time my jeep is not in the best shape so it could just be worn out

Okay so in 2 hi sometimes il be going along and it will just clunk and slip out of gear and u can hear the teeth like grinding but its not loud so I pull it nto 4hi thinking it would re engage the rear driveahaft and I'd be on my way well that doesn't work so I stopped put in 4lo and it moved so I dove a block and tried 4 hi again same thing so I got out locked the hubs in and finished my drive in fwd what seemes to be the issue its done it several times but I have always managed to get the transfer case back in 2hi
Hopefully you're not trying to shift it while you're moving.

Sounds like it is acting up. I'd drain it, see what comes out, and reassess the situation. My guess is that it might be time for a rebuild. First check the fluid levels as well as the shift linkage, driveshaft u-joints, and transmission mounts.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

What inside would be warn causing it to do that the teeth or the skier linkage?
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
What inside would be warn causing it to do that the teeth or the skier linkage?
There's all sorts of things inside that could be the source. Other pieces of teeth, linkage, dry/worn gears, etc. Cause could be poor maintenance or just wear-n-tear.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

When it slips out of gear, are you stopping and then trying to get it to go back into gear or are you immediately trying while moving?
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Do a google search on the internals or search here for rebuilds. You'll see all the internals and give you a better idea.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

No I stop put both tranny and transfer in neutral then try 2hi put in first let out of the clutch .....nothing then tranny back tk neutral and try 4hi and I can hear the front drive shaft turning but I'm not moving
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Well that's good. I was afraid that you weren't doing that.

When it slips out of gear while moving, does the stick actually pop out of position or is it just gears clunking? I'm thinking its probably the shift rails. If its grinding, that is not good though.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

It doesn't seem like the stick is movine I'm not usually looking at it when it happens and I have before held it back to hold it in gear and get moving
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Unfortunately, you are going to have to open it up. A rebuild is probably something you might be looking at.

EDIT: Well if the stick is moving when it's popping out of gear, it might be the shift rails. If it is not moving, it's probably bad gears. Grinding is never good with gears. You really need to determine if its actually in gear. A bent shifter or loose linkage could be preventing it from fully engaging in gear. If its not in gear completely and popping out and then making grinding noise, it could very well just be linkage. If its in gear, not popping out of gear, and just grinding, it's probably bad gears.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

I didn't think soo would it be cheaper to rebuild it or try and find a used one
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I didn't think soo would it be cheaper to rebuild it or try and find a used one
Depends on the condition of the used, but a used will be cheaper unless you do it yourself. Personally, I'd rebuild and then you have a like-new possibly warrantied transfer case.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

People having the Dana 300 pop out of 4L is not uncommon, but 2H not really. With bad linkage/shift rails/indents....
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

Well o will prolly rebuild it is there anumy complete kits? Kinda new to the jeep world don't know what's out there and different gear sets? For a lower 4lo ?
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Yup, there's all kinds of rebuilds. Look at Novak Customs for great descriptions as well as kits. You can also ship yours to them and they'll rebuild it to your specifications. Terra-low kit lowers gears. But it's really overkill unless you plan on doing some rock crawling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.