Dana 300 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 300

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 05-28-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
Infedel

Dana 300

Tracked down an oil leak to my Dana 300 Transfer Case. Pulled the drain plug and found a bunch of metal shavings. Nuts. What now? Do I wait for it to blow up and leave me somewhere, or do I find a rebuild kit? If so, where?
Thanks in advance.

Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
Jwhit

I have D300 if you need another. Im in MA if your interested just leave a mesage. You can buy rebuild kits for the d300. Adavance adapters has one that changes it from stock 2.7:1 to 4:1, not a bad deal if you need to rebuild it why not upgrade. Good luck
'85 CJ7 Rebuilt 258/T5/Dana 300 Mopar MPI fuel Injuection kit - 35" Pro Comp X-Terrains,one piece rear axle, 4.56 gears, Tracloc rear, Detroit Nospin front, 2" Full-Traction Shackle Reversal, 1" body lift, 2.5" Sky Jacker lift

'05 Jeep "Willys" ~stock... daily driver
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
rustyCJ

what kind of shaving, how big, any chunks like chipped teeth? if its just minimal shaving type metal in the pan dont sweat it and keep driving it(after you fix the oil leak and fill it back up). it prolly wont blow up during your lifetime if you keep it maintaned from now on. if you have chunks from broken teeth etc, time for a rebuild or new/used unit. you can pick up a used dana 300 for around $300 almost anywhere and use your old dana 300 for spare parts. i have no idea how much a rebuild kit for the dana 300 runs, dont know of anyone that has had to rebuild thiers. i am positive it is a hella lot cheaper than the $800 teralow kit mentioned above but the kit does give you new gears a which change it from (2.5:1?) to 4:1 low.
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
kev1

If you have it out, simply pull the bottom plate off. You can see alot with it off and you might be able to see the extent of the damage.

Hope that helps, good luck.

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
Infedel

To Rusty

No chunks came out with the drain plug. Just small particles and actual metal shavings.

I refilled it with fluid and had to take it to Mt. Hood (300 mile round trip). When the front drive shaft is engaged, it makes some grinding and clacking noises (regardless if the front hubs are locked or not). When the front axle is locked, it's get's worse, and sounds down right scary. Maybe U-Joints and not the Dana? I can't drive and crawl under there myself at the same time.

It's not removed at the moment. It's a daily driver, so dismanteling it to that point is a hard option for me.

I saw the Advanced Adapter kit, and boy oh boy would that be nice, but $800+ is a lot of money. I'd like to try and keep the expenditure under $200 if possible.

Parting out an older one sounds like a good option. However, if once I get it out, and find that only the seals need replacing on the front drive shaft, how can I go about finding those? I asked my local parts store, and they just scratched their heads. When I look up Rebuild Kits, all I come up with are the Terra Low and the Advanced Adapter kits.
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
GroundUpCJ7

If you're getting noise when the 4WD is engaged, it could be your D300, but it could also be your carrier bearings. You may want to check your front differential to see if you have any metal in there, if so you may have a bad bearing up front. If you really want to isolate the noise, disconnect the front driveshaft and put the shifter into 4wd. If you still get the noise, you know it's in the transfer case or tranny. If you don't hear the noise, you can lock the hubs and drive around to see if the noise shows itself. If you don't get any noise, then it's a driveline loading issue and you'll have to listen carefully to determine where it's coming from. Anyway, if your getting a grumble, you need to fix whatever is grumbling or you will eventually be stuck somewhere.
GroundUpCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.