Dana 30 Wheel Bearing Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 30 Wheel Bearing Failure

Jeep Long Arm Upgrade Kits on SALE for as low as $649.95 SKOR Name Your Price SaleThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Dana 30 Wheel Bearing Failure

In the "by the Grace of God" category I bring you these pictures and this story.

Had the Jeep up on the lift and noticed the right front tire was "wobbly". I had the tire off the day before and thought I had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts. Nope, not that simple. Pulled the tire and was met with this.

Notice something missing? Like the ENTIRE rotor?? I have no idea where it is, if it hit someones car when it failed, or why I am not dead on the side of the road.

Cracked the lockout hub.

Pulled it apart a little more:

Bearings totally disintegrated.

Parts list so far:
Spindle
Axle Stub
Hub
Rotor
Lock out hubs
Assorted bearings and seals

Going to rebuild the other side while I am at it. Also replacing the u-joints in the axle shafts "while it's apart". About $1200 in parts (Merry Christmas to me). (Wife hasn't seen the bill yet, so stay tuned for a post about my upcoming divorce). Shout out to the folks at Morris 4X4 for having it all in stock and getting it to me next day shipping. Really nice people.

Don't know the exact cause but I'm sure it was related to the master cylinder replacement I did to support rear disks on the AMC 20. My guess is the added pressure from the new master cylinder caused the piston to seize on the rotor and the heat build up caused it to fail. The rest of the damage is "collateral" to that.

Unread 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I hope you are going to put 6 bolt hubs on it.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

OK. Seems as though I forgot how to link pictures.
Unread 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
I hope you are going to put 6 bolt hubs on it.
OK, I won't tell you... S*@t I should have thought of that. Wasn't really sure what the difference was.

This is what happens when you are in a time crunch. The Jeep is in the auto craft shop on the Army Post near my house. They need it gone. Plus it is costing me about $50 a day to keep it there. It's occupying a lift bay so it's $8/hr when they are open. Today is the last day they are open until Jan 10.
Unread 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
chatham

don't mean to be a downer, but when I see things like this I always wonder how the heck someone could lets things get this bad. there are so many noises, vibrations, looks from pedestrians, etc to let you know that something is not well. good luck
chatham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

This happened over the course of one day. Drove a total of maybe 20 miles. Honestly did not feel any vibration, wandering steering, etc. Most of the driving was at 20 to 30 MPH.
Unread 12-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Where are you located? I have a Dana 30 you can have. Has all of the parts you need.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

I'm in Arlington, VA (DC). I'm sitting here staring out the window for the FedEx guy to show up with all the new parts. Talk about a kid on Christmas. Thanks for the offer though.
Unread 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Went an looked at the full size pictures,
What I'm seeing (Failure Analysis) of just those few pictures, and personal experience,
And remember, I might have the sequence off a little...

The outside bearing failed first, letting the wheel bearing hub/lockout tilt up,
which fractured the rotor due to side loading on the caliper.

What I don't see is the rotor...
If it broke up while driving, there should have been HUGE noise when it came apart.
I've seen them broke off and still stuck in the caliper,
But when they are missing completely, breaking up, it's usually a BIG event and you know it...

The pads are still there, and still have enough material... It wasn't just neglect...
The ONLY way to wear a rotor completely out is to ram the caliper piston into it or wear the pads out enough the caliper 'C' gets into the rotor,
Hard metal on metal wear.

This rotor was FRACTURED off the 'Hat', which means side loading.
A failed outer wheel bearing will side load the crap out of a rotor.

Outer bearing failed, which would have been serious damage to the inside bearing,
But when the rotor failed, the inside bearing was allowed to slip down the spindle, leaving the bearings free to take off where they may...

With the rotor broken, I'm surprised the wheel bearing hub and wheel didn't exit the vehicle!
The rotor is usually what keeps the bearing hub/wheel on the vehicle when it turns sideways.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Went an looked at the full size pictures,
What I'm seeing (Failure Analysis) of just those few pictures, and personal experience,
And remember, I might have the sequence off a little...

The outside bearing failed first, letting the wheel bearing hub/lockout tilt up,
which fractured the rotor due to side loading on the caliper.

What I don't see is the rotor...
If it broke up while driving, there should have been HUGE noise when it came apart.
I've seen them broke off and still stuck in the caliper,
But when they are missing completely, breaking up, it's usually a BIG event and you know it...

The pads are still there, and still have enough material... It wasn't just neglect...
The ONLY way to wear a rotor completely out is to ram the caliper piston into it or wear the pads out enough the caliper 'C' gets into the rotor,
Hard metal on metal wear.

This rotor was FRACTURED off the 'Hat', which means side loading.
A failed outer wheel bearing will side load the crap out of a rotor.

Outer bearing failed, which would have been serious damage to the inside bearing,
But when the rotor failed, the inside bearing was allowed to slip down the spindle, leaving the bearings free to take off where they may...

With the rotor broken, I'm surprised the wheel bearing hub and wheel didn't exit the vehicle!
The rotor is usually what keeps the bearing hub/wheel on the vehicle when it turns sideways.
Huh???

Are you even looking at the photos?

The locking hub, wheel hub and rotor hub are all intact; and the bearings can't go anywhere.

chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
CSP

The inner bearing can absolutely go somewhere, in pieces, which it looks like they did. You can see what's left of the cage and the inner race around the spindle.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
Went an looked at the full size pictures, What I'm seeing (Failure Analysis) of just those few pictures, and personal experience, And remember, I might have the sequence off a little... The outside bearing failed first, letting the wheel bearing hub/lockout tilt up, which fractured the rotor due to side loading on the caliper. What I don't see is the rotor... If it broke up while driving, there should have been HUGE noise when it came apart. I've seen them broke off and still stuck in the caliper, But when they are missing completely, breaking up, it's usually a BIG event and you know it... The pads are still there, and still have enough material... It wasn't just neglect... The ONLY way to wear a rotor completely out is to ram the caliper piston into it or wear the pads out enough the caliper 'C' gets into the rotor, Hard metal on metal wear. This rotor was FRACTURED off the 'Hat', which means side loading. A failed outer wheel bearing will side load the crap out of a rotor. Outer bearing failed, which would have been serious damage to the inside bearing, But when the rotor failed, the inside bearing was allowed to slip down the spindle, leaving the bearings free to take off where they may... With the rotor broken, I'm surprised the wheel bearing hub and wheel didn't exit the vehicle! The rotor is usually what keeps the bearing hub/wheel on the vehicle when it turns sideways.
Looks to me like the rotor is still there just the part that makes contact with the pads is missing. I'm looking at them on my phone though so I could be wrong.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
CSP

The OP stated that the rotor was gone.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
In the "by the Grace of God" category I bring you these pictures and this story.

Had the Jeep up on the lift and noticed the right front tire was "wobbly". I had the tire off the day before and thought I had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts. Nope, not that simple. Pulled the tire and was met with this.

oing to rebuild the other side while I am at it. Also replacing the u-joints in the axle shafts "while it's apart". About $1200 in parts (Merry Christmas to me). (Wife hasn't seen the bill yet, so stay tuned for a post about my upcoming divorce). Shout out to the folks at Morris 4X4 for having it all in stock and getting it to me next day shipping. Really nice people.

Don't know the exact cause but I'm sure it was related to the master cylinder replacement I did to support rear disks on the AMC 20. My guess is the added pressure from the new master cylinder caused the piston to seize on the rotor and the heat build up caused it to fail. The rest of the damage is "collateral" to that.
The pictures look like total neglect. You are saying that you never heard or felt anything. When the rotor broke and exited the vehicle you were then driving with one front brake and would induce the brake pedal to travel all the way to the floor and if the one brake did work, it would have caused tremendous pull. Maybe your front brakes weren't even working. Post pictures of the other front hub,rotor and associated pieces as you take it apart.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I wonder if this is why there is a minimum tolerance for rotor thickness? Enough heat, spider cracking, then sooner or later Kerchunk.
If the heat was that intense [possibly time and time again] all of the neighbors would also be affected.
It looks like lack of understanding something might be partly at fault here. If you never had a problem with the brakes have a good close look at your combination or proportioning valve, as only the rears were working and the above comment about the rotor is meaningless.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.