Dana 30 holding up to 34x9.50 LTB's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 30 holding up to 34x9.50 LTB's?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 holding up to 34x9.50 LTB's?

Hey all, it the midst of building my 82cj, Im swapping a a ford 9in. in to the rear and putting a T-18 behind the 258. When my 31's wear out (MT Baja Claws) Id like to get 34x9.50 SS LTB's. My question is how well can my stock wide track Dana 30 (will have 4.11's and 6bolt lockouts) hold up to these Tires? I know if you drive easy enough anything will last but im wondering if the tire gets in a bind if ill be busting shafts and U-joints. If it wont last is it worth it to swap in the dana 44 I have from the early bronco that I got the nine inch from?
Thanks
Marc

Check out my build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-2163649/
Strings72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

I'd swap in the 44 no questions asked if it's just sitting there and all it needs is labor.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

as long as you aren't really heavy on the skinny pedal, you should be ok. I have a friend who wheels a commanche pickup on 37 inch boggers on a TJ D30. While the 2 axles are different, they are similar in strength.

But if you already have the 44, and the ability to swap it correctly, why not start with a better axle for future mods.

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the 34x9.50 cant be any diffrent than the 33X12.50 ive been running for the last 10 years in my yj, i havent broke yet
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

the only thing to be said is the I already have a 4.11 ring and pinion for the D30 (bought wrong RP for my Tj) But I could leave the the 9in./D44 combo at 3.55's if you guys thimk that would be a low enough gear?

Unread 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Personally, I would want a bit lower than 3.55's with 34's. Ring and pinions are cheap in the grand scheme of things. I would really think about your intended use and future intended use. For mild to moderate trail riding, the 30 will be fine. If you are planning on trying to do more hardcore rock crawling like things with it, you may have issues depending on driving style.

How you drive is as important as what you drive, and whats under it.

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
Unread 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
backwoodboys11
1982 CJ5 

I have run 44s on a Dana 30 front with no problems. The transfer case give up. It was with a ford 300 Inline 6.

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Along with driving style and terrain, the other thing that will affect the length of the 30's life is if you lock it or not.

An open diff D30 will typically live longer than a locked one especially in more technical terrain. In mud, sand and mild trails the locker is a definite bonus and longevity isn't much of a concern. But in the rocks and technical stuff the locker is more likely to cause breakage (especially if the wheels are turned) and leave you busted in the toolies. Obviously the driving style thing affects how likely this is to happen but it is something to remember when you're out there.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to run an Aussie locker in either axle

Unread 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Well then I'd say yes, if you bind up a tire with a locker in there you'll probably end up with some sort of carnage. Like I mentioned, that typically happens with the tires turned and/or one of them wedged in an obstacle.

It sounds like you're planning to be in terrain where that could happen so I'd just go with the 44.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Well then I'd say yes, if you bind up a tire with a locker in there you'll probably end up with some sort of carnage. Like I mentioned, that typically happens with the tires turned and/or one of them wedged in an obstacle.

It sounds like you're planning to be in terrain where that could happen so I'd just go with the 44.
Breakage usually occurs at the u-joint in a front axle application. Whether from the caps walking or popping out, or the joint itself failing. Most (not all) D44's that come out of a early bronco run the spicer 260x joint which is the same size as the D30 in most jeeps.

The gain in shaft strength stock for stock is marginal. Ring and pinion strength and housing strength are where the benefits are.

Now if aftermarket shafts, carriers and the like come n to play, the D44 gets the nod hands down.

Unread 11-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
TPSreports
1983 CJ7 

I would swap the Ford 9" rear but not the front 44. The early Bronco 44's have a drivers side drop and your dana 30 is passeneger side. Front 44's from a Chevy, 80's and up FSJ's, and Scouts are passenger side drop and a better candidadte for a CJ in my experience.

With light to moderate trail use, you should be fine on your dana 30 with 34's. If you plan to wheel pretty hard and beat on it, a front 44 would be a better choice for sure.
TPSreports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPSreports View Post
I would swap the Ford 9" rear but not the front 44. The early Bronco 44's have a drivers side drop and your dana 30 is passeneger side. Front 44's from a Chevy, 80's and up FSJ's, and Scouts are passenger side drop and a better candidadte for a CJ in my experience.

With light to moderate trail use, you should be fine on your dana 30 with 34's. If you plan to wheel pretty hard and beat on it, a front 44 would be a better choice for sure.
For the amount of work it will take to make the EB D44 fit, just run the D30 with the gears you already have. If you start breaking things, consider an upgrade at that time.

The problem with all the magazine and tv build lately is that now everyone thinks they need huge axles or they will grenade turning into a spot at the grocery store. Most people do not need more than a mildly upgraded stock axle if they really, honestly admit to their actual intended use.

Run the 30, if it breaks, upgrade, or swap it out. If it doesn't break, then you saved a bunch of money and can get other upgrades

Unread 11-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacksahara View Post
Breakage usually occurs at the u-joint in a front axle application. Whether from the caps walking or popping out, or the joint itself failing. Most (not all) D44's that come out of a early bronco run the spicer 260x joint which is the same size as the D30 in most jeeps.

The gain in shaft strength stock for stock is marginal. Ring and pinion strength and housing strength are where the benefits are.

Now if aftermarket shafts, carriers and the like come n to play, the D44 gets the nod hands down.
True, the locking hubs and u-joints are often the first point of failure. Interseting about the small u-joints, I didn't know most had the smaller ones....and for some reason thought those axles were pass. drop. That all said, that particular 44 doesn't seem worth the hassle of swapping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.