Dana 30 gear ratio 3.3? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 30 gear ratio 3.3?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

Dana 30 gear ratio 3.3?

So i bought a front axle from some guy. I thought the gear ratio was 3.73, but i just counted and it turns out 43 on ring gear and 13 on spindle giving me a ratio of 3.3. I was going to just just swap out the axles because this one has disk brakes but it looks like that wont work. So the way i see it i now have 3 options.

1) move brakes and such to old axle and re-attach dana 30 with 3.73
2)switch out spindle and ring gear 3.73 and put in new axle
3)attach new front axle the way it is and find a new back axle with corresponding back axle

My jeep is not insured and hasen't been driven regularly for the past 23 years ( it hadent moved at all until 6 months ago), so im not too bent out of shape about letting it sit longer. It will not be driven on highway, more of just a cruising/ light off-roading vehicle. Im trying to fix things right the first time so i dont have to come back and do it again in a few years. So basically if it were you what would you do?

Thanks

bligon64 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Swap the brakes on your original axle over to disks. I did it years ago and it was very easy using a combination of stock parts. Do your research, have a good set of exploded diagrams for both axle types, and go at it. There are supple differences in the spindle and axle shaft bearings, seals, and small parts so keep all of it as you take both apart - mix and match to suit. Do both have 6 bolt flanges for the locking hubs? If so, make it easy and use everything from the newer axle from the steering knuckle out.
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

yeah they both have 6 bolt flange for the hubs.
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Its the new axle wide track?

If not, I would just switch the brakes/hubs. If it is and you want the extra width, then I would look for a rear WT with 3.31s or a really cheap one and regear both to match
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
CSP

Definitely swap the brakes over. Gear ratio swaps are difficult, require specialized tools to do correctly, and expensive if you swap out all of the parts that should be swapped out (seals and bearings).
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Definitely swap the brakes over. Gear ratio swaps are difficult, require specialized tools to do correctly, and expensive if you swap out all of the parts that should be swapped out (seals and bearings).
This. You could do the ring gear change yourself. Buy/rent/borrow all the tools, post here a ton of times to get advice how, have to run all over the place getting tools and such, etc....and at the end of the project, while you'd be proud you did it yourself, you'll wish you had just paid a pro to do it for you.

BTW, if you DO decide to change the gears/have them changed, definitely DON'T swap to 3.31's. Change the higher gear to 3.73.
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

So I looked again and the locking hub HSS a 5 bolt flange while my old one is a warn with 6 bolts. I'm assuming the warn is better, but can will I be able to use it?
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
CSP

You can use it, but you will have to use the wheelbearing hubs from your existin axle. They may not be machined flat on the back side where the rotor mounts, so they may need to be machined.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , cj , disk brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.