Dana 30 Bearing Replacement and...who knows what... - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 30 Bearing Replacement and...who knows what...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #226
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Summit Racing. I should have everything together tonight. I'll post some photos.

If you need any part numbers give me a shout.

SC

Unread 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #227
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I finished the fuel line from pump to carburetor. Not so sure I'm loving it too much but it works. Well kind of works, I have a leak in my pressure regulator and I think it's the flared fitting I used which shouldn't be flared. Anyways, here's a few shots of what I came up with.

...and yes, Matt, I have the upside down fuel pump. Funny thing is on my year jeep from other photos this seems to be the correct orientation?
fuel-line-8.jpg   fuel-line-5.jpg   fuel-line-6.jpg   fuel-line-7.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #228
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve,

It sure looks pretty. Bummer about the leak. Did you make a bracket for the regulator? It's difficult to tell from the shine coming off your engine.

I've always read the regulator should go between the filter and carb. Have you found other info?

I'm anxious to see how your carb treats you.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #229
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Hi Matt,

The rigid line and fittings make it pretty sturdy, but I am going to make a bracket that attaches to the valve cover bolt that you can see in the second photo.

As far as placement goes this one goes before the filter. At least it says in the directions: http://static.summitracing.com/globa...a-4207(2)1.pdf

Tonight I'm going to hook up my electric choke to my 12v source (ignition switch), and then find that leak and fix it.

I also used these to connect to my other braided fuel line you can see it in the last photo:

Stay tuned...

SC
bsp-68220_w.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #230
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve,

Interesting about the placement of the regulator. I notice the instructions also call for a second filter before the pump. That could explain it. Without that second filter, I think the regulator would stand a chance of getting clogged in that configuration.

Oh, I'm staying tuned all right, if anything, just for the photography. I doubt I'll go to the extent you did on my regulator/fuel line, however.

Matt
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #231
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Geeze, I never thought about that...I'll need to sneak anther filter in there. Thanks for the heads up.

SC
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #232
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Holy Crap! I was letting my engine warm up and looked over at the headers...they were glowing red. Just the rear two ports on each side. Is this a timing issue or?

i"m letting it cool down for now...

SC
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #233
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
Holy Crap! I was letting my engine warm up and looked over at the headers...they were glowing red. Just the rear two ports on each side. Is this a timing issue or?

i"m letting it cool down for now...

SC
Advance the timing a little. If that does not fix it richen up your idle circuit a little. Do one thing at a time. Lean condition can make headers glow red but so can retarded timing. Be careful of detonation/ping when you advance the timing.
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #234
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post

i"m letting it cool down for now...SC

That would have made a pretty pic.

Let us know if advancing the timing helps.

Matt
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #235
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Matt,

Those headers are my brand new ceramic coated Doug's headers....I'm scared to go check on 'em right now.

I'll let you guys know what works. I do have my mixture screws in pretty far. I think 1 turn out right now. I'll start with advancing my timing first.

Thanks guys.

SC
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #236
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Whew...Just went out to the garage and looked my little buddy over. Looked at the distributor and by the looks of where my vacuum advance was pointing I was probably a good 10* off from my initial visual setting. Pointing the vacuum advance more towards my power steering bracket (advancing timing) and everything is all better now.

Thanks again guys, this really got me worried.

I need to make that bracket for my fuel pressure gauge, and I''ll be back to Dada's "Golden Tuning Thread".

SC
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #237
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

"Whew" is right....glad you didn't melt anything.

Matt
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #238
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Do any of you guys keep everything you take off of your jeep? Just seems I can't get rid of things I remove as I feel it was original and I must keep it...for originality sake. I have a two barrel intake, tie rod, drag link, front and rear drive shaft, motorcraft 2100 carb, valve covers, power steering bracket, steering shaft, etc...

Do I need an intervention...if so, please advise...

SC
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #239
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

drag link, tie rod and drive shafts are handy to have as spares on the trail just in case...regarding the other stuff? I gave away or tossed mine and I now regret that because there are plenty of people here on the forum that could have used some of them...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #240
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
drag link, tie rod and drive shafts are handy to have as spares on the trail just in case...regarding the other stuff? I gave away or tossed mine and I now regret that because there are plenty of people here on the forum that could have used some of them...
Hi Mike,

Glad you chimed in...Hope things are well with you and your family!

I spent a bunch of time on your blog and really love the business/lifestyle you have developed. Family is number one...keep up the good work with your girls. They have a great father!

Anyways, that's my point. There was a post a while back where I had the part that someone needed, but thought I just can't part with it.

Now...it's just sitting in my garage taking up space...

I did however give away my leaf springs to a young forum member and was able to send them to him along with shocks. The appreciation he had for those items was priceless, but then again these weren't OEM items...but never the less these leaf springs have new life...

SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.