Dana 30 - Ball / U Joints Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 30 - Ball / U Joints Suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
leeherron
1981 CJ8 

Dana 30 - Ball / U Joints Suggestions

Okay .. so I'm in the process of rebuilding / refreshening the Dana 30 from the front of my '81 CJ-8

Axle u-joints removed .. surprisingly more work than I expected.

and ball joints removed from knuckles (press made pretty easy work of it)

Question: What brand u-joints and ball joints are best? I'm currently looking at the MOOG due to the easy access zerk locations (as I understand it) and guessing Spicer u-joints but not for any real reason ..

.. any suggestions?

leeherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I just rebuilt my axle and had gotten my ball joints at two different times and two different locations. I got a set of TRW brand and a set of Raybestos. I had them put in by others and then when I was re-assembling the spindle and hub, etc. I had an issue where the new locking hub didn't fit on. See this thread for details and pics of my issue. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/mi...ssues-1502210/
Long story short; I don't know if it was a bad ball joint or one wasn't seated fully, but I replaced the TRW's with 2 new Raybesto's and the problem was solved. The other side with the Rayb. gave me no problem. These were the Raybestos Proffessional Problem Solvers #'s 5001070 & # 5051156 @ $30.79 ea from Rock Auto.
As for U-joints, I just got 2 for driveshafts that were Moog / Precision brand but I used Spicer in the front axles.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
CSP

I've been using XRF balljoints and steering components. I recently had to use one XRF tie rod end and one Moog due to a backorder on the XRF part and the difference in quality just in the external machining was amazing. XRF had Moog beat by a long shot. The price was much better too. I get my XRF parts at mibearings.com

Stick with Spicer on the ujoints if you can. You want 260x joints for the axleshafts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

The u-joint end caps may need to be ground down flush or it won't fit in the spindle hole. I had that problem with mine.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.