dana 30 4wd stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dana 30 4wd stuck

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
gRim11x
1986 CJ7 

dana 30 4wd stuck

Hello all I have a 86 CJ with a dana 30 front. It rolls fine in 2wd but when I put it in 4wd high or low it wont budge any ideas? also I have very little experience with axels but I am eager to learn.

gRim11x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Sounds more like a TC problem than an axle problem... If you lock the front hubs and leave the TC in 2-HI, does the Jeep drive okay? If so, I would check the shifter linkage on the TC. If one of the pins comes out, odd things can happen.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are the differentials the same ratio? I would check that first.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

Verify that the TC is moving by pulling the front drive shaft and have someone watch the yoke. Move it a few inches. If it turns, drain the fluid from the front axle and remove the differential cover and check the gears.
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Axles the same ratio, like addressed above, and I'd try it with the front hubs UNLOCKED...
If it moves with hubs UNLOCKED, you simply spin the differential and axle shafts, no harm, but that will tell you *IF* the front ring/pinion is locked up or not.
If it still doesn't want to move in 4x4 with the front unlocked, then the issue is with transfer or front pinion/ring gear...

You could also jack up the front, put T-case in 2WD, lock in the wheels and turn them, see if the front ring/pinion turns the drive shaft freely,
Then you would start looking at transfer case...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.