JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Dana 25 Axle shafts. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dana-25-axle-shafts-1750026/)

gunpilot 11-02-2013 01:15 PM

Dana 25 Axle shafts.

Looking at some old stock axle shafts to have as spares for my Dana 25 (CJ3A-3B) (closed knuckle) flatfender Willys. I've seen two different universal CV joint styles in my research. I could be wrong, but it looks like the joint is slightly different in design. Also, some have provisions for a nut on the outer end of the axle whereas others don't. My current axles have the nut. Are these different styles interchangable? Is one any more or less strong than the other? What's a fair price to expect to pay for a good used set of axles?

I appreciate any insights. Thanks, Greg

DanStew 11-03-2013 06:48 PM

I do not believe the threaded axle ends really make a differnce. If you have locking hubs, as long as the hubs fit over and the splines engage you should be good. I like the newer "ujoint" style cause you can get the permenant lubed ujoints for them and not worry about filling the closed knuckle with oil or grease (but makes sure you grease the kingpin bearings real good). As for a price you can probably find them pretty cheap. Since those axles are not really liked and get swapped out, you can find some that somebody is tripping over and get them cheap, but that is for the entire axle.

gunpilot 11-04-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanStew (Post 17407762)
I do not believe the threaded axle ends really make a differnce. If you have locking hubs, as long as the hubs fit over and the splines engage you should be good. I like the newer "ujoint" style cause you can get the permenant lubed ujoints for them and not worry about filling the closed knuckle with oil or grease (but makes sure you grease the kingpin bearings real good). As for a price you can probably find them pretty cheap. Since those axles are not really liked and get swapped out, you can find some that somebody is tripping over and get them cheap, but that is for the entire axle.

Thanks Dan,
I would consider swapping the entire axle but this one seems to be holding up fine for now. I have a Chevy vortec 4.3L V6 and TH350 transmission, 33 x 12.50 tires and 5.38 gears. The jeep is used as a mild weekend type trail rig, nothing extreme. Any recommendations on an axle swap if I ever get to that point? I want to keep the stock narrow width, and would not be opposed to narrowing another axle.
Thanks, Greg

DanStew 11-04-2013 04:27 AM

Honestly you probably will be fine with the combo. I had a 4.1L buick V6, t18 and dana 18 with stock axles and 34s for a long time. i did have a ujonit go bad but i didnt break anything and i beat on it a bit. but then again i drive like a grandma. i like to modify things but do believe in build it after you break it (cheaper that way). As for axle swaps i did put wagoneer axles under my old CJ5 and liked it alot. It was wider at 61 inches for the front and 59 for the rear. I did this because i got a free set of axles. The scout axles are the usual upgrade and the wagoneer is the other route. You could go exotic and go with toyota. Or buy the chevy 44 front and shorten one side. Any which way it costs money. I went cheap with the wagoneer axles because i used early CJ dana 44 used gears. There is alot out there with swaps. On my latest Jeep i am using the stock axles 25/44. I got bored and welded a truss to the front axle and i did disc brakes on both axles. Eventually i will swap the original rzeppa joint front shafts for the later ujoint so i can run them with no lube in the knuckles.

gunpilot 11-04-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanStew (Post 17416434)
Honestly you probably will be fine with the combo. I had a 4.1L buick V6, t18 and dana 18 with stock axles and 34s for a long time. i did have a ujonit go bad but i didnt break anything and i beat on it a bit. but then again i drive like a grandma. i like to modify things but do believe in build it after you break it (cheaper that way). As for axle swaps i did put wagoneer axles under my old CJ5 and liked it alot. It was wider at 61 inches for the front and 59 for the rear. I did this because i got a free set of axles. The scout axles are the usual upgrade and the wagoneer is the other route. You could go exotic and go with toyota. Or buy the chevy 44 front and shorten one side. Any which way it costs money. I went cheap with the wagoneer axles because i used early CJ dana 44 used gears. There is alot out there with swaps. On my latest Jeep i am using the stock axles 25/44. I got bored and welded a truss to the front axle and i did disc brakes on both axles. Eventually i will swap the original rzeppa joint front shafts for the later ujoint so i can run them with no lube in the knuckles.

Perfect Dan, Thanks again.

I tend to drive on the safe side as well, but I also want it capable should I get in some loose stuff or mud and need to apply torque to escape.
I was only asking about the axles originally as a potential spare situation. I was anticipating the Dana 25 being my weak link. I'm about half way through collecting parts to modify my rear D44 to a floating axle setup. I found a cheap Limited Slip Differential for it (30 spline), which kinda steered me towards the floater setup providing bigger axles. I already had the extra hubs and spindles to make the conversion. So I'm banking on my rear axle being fine for my setup.
I'll be on the lookout for cheap spicer type CV axles for the front, while keeping an eye out for a Scout or such D44 I can convert for the front.
I'll also do as you indicate, drive it until something fails as my trigger to upgrade beyond what I've already done.

Thanks again for your insights.
Greg

The time now is 11:17 PM.