dana 20 T/C shift rod plate removal (Lumpy grits!!!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dana 20 T/C shift rod plate removal (Lumpy grits!!!)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
t_kothmann
1978 CJ5 

dana 20 T/C shift rod plate removal (Lumpy grits!!!)

Is there any way to remove the plate from the rods with out removing the intermediate shaft/shifting forks?

I can get the plate separated from the case but cant get the rails to let go. (not able to install new gasket)

I have a seal kit and would like to replace the seal between the case and the plate and also press out/on the output shaft seal while its off.

I've tried what i feel like has been everything.

The plate has been reattached in this picture to show what I'm speaking of (the yoke and bolts were off and plate free from the case)

View from passenger most side. some sort of blocked holes. no method of removal. (visible in previous pic)

The view from the top of the the shift rods. They have threaded holes on top with nothing in them, they were just plugged with orange plastic plugs. Dare I guess a gift from the PO? When you operate the hi low options you can see indentations on the shift rods.

One last question. I got a seal that allows for the sharing of fluid between Tranny and T/C and one that doesn't. The one on appeared to share. What say you?

TK

t_kothmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This link may help.

Google is your friend.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
t_kothmann
1978 CJ5 

yeah i saw that and believe me I've goggled this, but like i said up top I'm trying not to remove the int. shaft/shift forks if at all possible. I'm just trying to change that one seal and would like to not break the whole thing down.

TK
t_kothmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.