Dana 20 Rebuild - Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 20 Rebuild - Help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
dreski1
1986 CJ7 

Dana 20 Rebuild - Help

I began disassembling my Dana 20 Transfer Case and was stopped cold by a Alen Set Screw that will not budge. The set screw is on one of the shifter rods holding a shift fork in place. I cannot get that thing to move and it is preventing me from removing the front bearing cap. I am following Novak's instructions and I have committed myself to getting this thing done correctly.

I soaked the screw in PB Blaster last night and even put some heat to it today, but no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Unread 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
dreski1
1986 CJ7 

OK, this thread isn't getting the response I had hoped. So let me ask another question. The set screw is a 3/16" alen. How far can I twist the alen wrench before is fails? As I am getting after this thing, the wrench will twist about 90 degrees. It hasn't failed yet, but can I expect it soon or should I continue to twist until either the screw or wrench lets loose? I am not sure I have any other choices.

Thanks again,

Dave
Unread 01-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Are you using one of those 90 degree Allen wrenches? If so, toss it and go buy a set of Allen Head Sockets that you use with a 3/8" ratchet. That will allow you to put more uumphh into it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
gumby

use a torch to heat up the metal...disimular metal and galvanic action sometimes welds them together. also if you can hit them a few times to break up the bond between the two halfs
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
gumby

use a torch to heat up the metal...disimular metal and galvanic action sometimes welds them together. also if you can hit them a few times to break up the bond between the two halfs.... just read the fact you used heat.. beat it like a redheaded stepchild. like a drum...like your johnson after prom
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
dreski1
1986 CJ7 

The beating part I can do. I just don't want to go blind.

I tried heating this morning, but was a little hesitant to get too crazy with the heat because it is a gearbox that was recently full of oil. I was afraid that it might "flash". I will try the alan socket next and then the heat if that doesn't do it.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
Unread 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Go buy an impact driver and a quality 3/8ths drive allen in the right size. Place the allen wrench in the bolt and give the driver a couple of smacks.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
mud4me

I am very familiar with the internals of the Dana 20.

As others mentioned, you need a decent, professional socket for hex bolts.

Also, if using heat - do not heat the bolt! heat the object that holds the bolt.

Good luck. Its an easy rebuild once you get those hex bolts free.
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The impact driver will do it. I have had one of these things for ever. It also shouldn't strip out using this. The last resort will be drilling it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.