Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
79CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed

Hey guys, just like the title says, I cannot find a backing plate/dust shield for the rear drums on a Dana 20. When I took mine apart to replace the shoes, springs, etc., I found out the driver's side is a different size than the passengers side. Passenger's side was smaller. The shoes that I bought were for the year and model of my Jeep and they fit the driver's side, so I'm guessing the passenger's side was replaced by a P.O. Looked all over the internet and called the dealer with no luck. If anyone knows where I can find these parts, other than a junkyard, please let me know. Thanks alot!

79CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I imagine you mean the AMC 20 rearend. A Dana 20 is a transfer case.. Both brakes are supposed to be the same size. I believe Jeeps 76-78 had 11 x 2" drums and 79 to 86 had 10 x 1 3/4" drums.
Krage Motorsports lists the dust shield Krage MotorSports - Product Category Catalog Page
You can also check them for brake parts. As a whole, auto parts dealers should be able to get you common brake parts. Backing plates seem to be difficult to come by and you will probably have to look for used a OEM part. You might try a want to buy (WTB) else where on this web site.

Last edited by 80cj; 01-18-2010 at 10:24 AM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
79CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

AMC 20 backing plate

yes, thanks for correcting me, I am talking about the AMC 20. Don't see the backing plate I am looking for on there however. Looks my best bet is probably a junkyard. Thanks.
79CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I think I have a set of the large 11 inch drums left over from my AMC 20 disk conversion on my 76 CJ7. I do not have the backing plates, made spacers for the axles with them. But you can have this stuff, just need to pay for shipping. If intersted just send me a PM

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CJ-7 View Post
yes, thanks for correcting me, I am talking about the AMC 20. Don't see the backing plate I am looking for on there however. Looks my best bet is probably a junkyard. Thanks.
Throw a thread up in JF's Wanted Forum. A number of people have been looking for these lately and have been having success there. The set I have listed are already sold to another JF member, but i'm going to be tearing down more axles after I get home from Ft. Bragg.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.