Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
79CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

Dana 20 drum backing plate/dust shield needed

Hey guys, just like the title says, I cannot find a backing plate/dust shield for the rear drums on a Dana 20. When I took mine apart to replace the shoes, springs, etc., I found out the driver's side is a different size than the passengers side. Passenger's side was smaller. The shoes that I bought were for the year and model of my Jeep and they fit the driver's side, so I'm guessing the passenger's side was replaced by a P.O. Looked all over the internet and called the dealer with no luck. If anyone knows where I can find these parts, other than a junkyard, please let me know. Thanks alot!

79CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I imagine you mean the AMC 20 rearend. A Dana 20 is a transfer case.. Both brakes are supposed to be the same size. I believe Jeeps 76-78 had 11 x 2" drums and 79 to 86 had 10 x 1 3/4" drums.
Krage Motorsports lists the dust shield Krage MotorSports - Product Category Catalog Page
You can also check them for brake parts. As a whole, auto parts dealers should be able to get you common brake parts. Backing plates seem to be difficult to come by and you will probably have to look for used a OEM part. You might try a want to buy (WTB) else where on this web site.

Last edited by 80cj; 01-18-2010 at 11:24 AM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
79CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

AMC 20 backing plate

yes, thanks for correcting me, I am talking about the AMC 20. Don't see the backing plate I am looking for on there however. Looks my best bet is probably a junkyard. Thanks.
79CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I think I have a set of the large 11 inch drums left over from my AMC 20 disk conversion on my 76 CJ7. I do not have the backing plates, made spacers for the axles with them. But you can have this stuff, just need to pay for shipping. If intersted just send me a PM

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CJ-7 View Post
yes, thanks for correcting me, I am talking about the AMC 20. Don't see the backing plate I am looking for on there however. Looks my best bet is probably a junkyard. Thanks.
Throw a thread up in JF's Wanted Forum. A number of people have been looking for these lately and have been having success there. The set I have listed are already sold to another JF member, but i'm going to be tearing down more axles after I get home from Ft. Bragg.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.