dana 20 to 300 swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > dana 20 to 300 swap?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

dana 20 to 300 swap?

I have a dana 20 behind a t18 in a 78 cj7. A friend is selling a used dana 300 because the bolt pattern won't match his setup. Will it match up to my t18, or is it a hard swap? Thanks.

CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same set up as you (t18 dana20) and looked at doing the same thing. You can get an adapter from advanced adapter (I think novak has it too)to adapt the new(er) dana 300 to the T18, but it is pricey ($500ish). The other thing to consider is that the dana 300 is longer than the dana 20 so you will have to shorten your rear drive shaft and have a longer front drive shaft.

To me, it was not worth it. I wanted the slower low range of the dana 300. The rear shaft is still a workable shaft, but did now want a shorter shaft and all the cost of changing.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
CSP

If it's a Dana 300 out of a 1980 Scout it will bolt up with the correct bull gear on the back of the transmission.

Otherwise, no it won't.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like its not worth picking up as a future modification. There's nothing wrong with my dana20 now.

My friend got it with a recent jeep purchase. He will put it on CL if I didn't want it.

We're in Greensboro, NC if someone local wants to buy it. I don't know the condition or what it came out of. I expect he'll sell it pretty cheap. I have no idea what it's worth.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

here is a link to the advanced adapter t18 to Dana 300 .....$467

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-50-7502/
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.