Damaged threads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Damaged threads

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Damaged threads

Believe it or not, I damaged the threads on my AMC 20 pinion gear during disassembly. It's amazing how removing a nut can damage threads but it happened.

Q U E S T I O N: DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIAMETER AND THREAD PITCH SO THAT I CAN FIND A DIE TO FIX THESE THREADS?

JERSEYJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
skip3

I may be able to find that out tomorrow - will let you know.

When you go to put that thing back together, do you have any specs or instructions for doing so? I lost my book and am so far stuck with a pile of parts for my '85 CJ7.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
skip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Yes I can fax you a copy of the AMC repair manual for rebuilding the diff. My CJ project is in a million pieces also, but hopefully it will be a rolling chassis in 30 days
Unread 03-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
skip3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
Believe it or not, I damaged the threads on my AMC 20 pinion gear during disassembly. It's amazing how removing a nut can damage threads but it happened.

Q U E S T I O N: DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIAMETER AND THREAD PITCH SO THAT I CAN FIND A DIE TO FIX THESE THREADS?
After careful measuring and calculation, it appears that the pinion threads are 7/8-20 UNEF (Unified, Extra Fine). Am on my way to parts store to buy a pinion nut (I damaged the outer threads by pounding on it to remove outer pinion bearing), and will verify.

I am trying to find a fax number I can use to receive your specs. You don't happen to have a scanner, so you?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Unread 03-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip3
After careful measuring and calculation, it appears that the pinion threads are 7/8-20 UNEF (Unified, Extra Fine). Am on my way to parts store to buy a pinion nut (I damaged the outer threads by pounding on it to remove outer pinion bearing), and will verify.

I am trying to find a fax number I can use to receive your specs. You don't happen to have a scanner, so you?

No scanner, but let me think of someone who may
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most office supply stores can scan files for you. Hell, you might be able to fax them a copy, have them scan it, then email it back to you without you ever leaving the house. It's worth a try to call a few and ask.

-moto
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
skip3

I went to the library, the O'Reilly's, and the Jeep dealership, and none had any information on the thread size. I've measured many threads over the years, and I checked the dimensions in Machinery handbook, so I'm confident of the 7/8-20.

Don't worry about the fax - I think I've found enough specs to do what I need.

Every book I've read about this said to use a new pinion nut when reassembling. The guys at the dealership said they just use the old nut over again. (Is that a scary thought?) A new one will cost $11.25. I also need a new yoke - dealer cost $94.50. Sheesh. I told them I'd think about it, and ran home. Found the parts in 4WheelDrive catalog, at $32.95 for the yoke and $4.99 for the nut, which comes with a new seal. Tax, shipping, handling, bribes, and everything altogether is less than $50. Will be here Wednesday.

By the way, I got the old style yoke, with u-bolts instead of straps, since that's a much stronger design.

Enough of this rambling. Good luck with your project.

Unread 03-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've always reused the pinion nut one time before replacing it. Just put some locktite on it and you'll be fine.

-moto
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
skip3

I've re-used it too, when changing out pinion seals. Unfortunately, I used the nut to bang on when I was separating the pinion shaft and rear bearing, and the last 2 or 3 threads got kinda bent.

Unread 03-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip3
I've re-used it too, when changing out pinion seals. Unfortunately, I used the nut to bang on when I was separating the pinion shaft and rear bearing, and the last 2 or 3 threads got kinda bent.

Mine got damaged while unscrewing it!!! This is almost too strange to believe. In the past i have crossed threaded bolts and damaged the threads, but this happened coming apart. The other way this happens is when you are trying to beat the pinion out of the housing. Even with a press, sometimes the end will mushroom

Talked to a guy at the tool shop. A 7/8 -20 die will set me back $37.00. Oh well I'll have it anyone ever needs it.

Jersey
Unread 03-26-2004, 06:48 AM   #11
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

i might have a old yoke and a new pinion nut have to look
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2004, 11:00 PM   #12
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I use a brass punch to drive my pinion out. No problems with buggered up threads.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.