D44 Factory Preload and Backlash? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > D44 Factory Preload and Backlash?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
orange150
1982 CJ8 

D44 Factory Preload and Backlash?

I'm thinking about doing the R&P and Detroit install on my rear D44 (stock '86 CJ unit) myself. Problem is, I bought the axle with no carrier or ring and pinion, so I have no factory shims to go off of to set my reference preload or backlash.
If I do decide to try it myself, where should I start with my shims?

Another thing I've noticed, a lot of the install kits state they come with a crush washer, but everything I've read says that they use preload shims?

Thanks!

orange150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Yes the 86 D44 uses shims without a crush sleeve. Sorry I can't help with a starting measurement off the top of my head.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Old D44 don't use crush sleeve. They use shims. I recently regeared a blank D44. .075 total shims to get to zero preload on the carrier. Can't remember what each side had, but I know it wasn't equal. Was less shims on ring gear side, I remember that much.

Add .007 at the end of the process to each side to preload the bearings (.015 total preload). Whatever you do, don't do what I first tried which is add .005 to ring gear side and .010 to pinion side. Result: .012 backlash (from .005). Theory was to open backlash a little, result was too much. Just go even both sides.

Pinion depth will vary depending on manufacturer of the gears. Last one I did with U.S.A. Standard Gear. 4.88 ratio and pinion depth was set with a .014 shim. It was also a front axle. Not sure if that makes any difference. Hope that helps, but in the end you just have to do what works and repeatedly checking your pattern with paste.

Also you need to make or buy a set of "set up bearings". There's only one bearing you press on from the beginning. That is the inner pinion bearing. The other 3 you will be taking off many, many times and they need to slip off by hand. To make a set use a die grinder, or whatever you have, and remove metal so they just slip on/off the journal by hand, easy. Make sure your setup bearings and final install bearings are the same brand or it will mess up your final results. Can't go wrong with Made in U.S.A. Timken Bearings.

Also, buy a non thread locking nut to free spin onto the pinion each time you check things. Also instead of using the yoke each time, use a piece of tube with similar dimensions. You'll be surprised the amount of time you save each time you assemble/disassemble. You need to figure out how you're going to hold the yoke for final torque. Back in the day I used a giant pipe wrench. I'm sophisticated now and made a long handled tool that bolts to the yoke to hold it. 220 ft lbs final torque on that pinion nut is a fair amount to achieve.

Edit: .058 for pinion bearing preload shims. I remembered Factory book said .065 nominal. So start with .070 to be safe, walk it in. Backlash is from .005 to .010 -- .008 desired (straight out of factory service manual).

To make life a little easier you may want to make a case spreader. Google search for images. It will help you get the carrier in when you go final install. It will also help you get it back out without killing yourself if you have to make an adjustment to your shims because something was off.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
orange150
1982 CJ8 

Thanks man!

Like I said, I'm still not sure if I want to tackle this myself. But the money I would save by self performing it is tempting...
orange150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.