D44/D30 parts interchange? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > D44/D30 parts interchange?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

D44/D30 parts interchange?

I found some already narrowed D44 front housings/axle shafts on CL,Will the knuckles or any parts from my D30 cross over?

Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes, but why would you want them to?
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

It's bare housing and axle shafts.Let me rephrase, will the hubs/brakes be re-usable?What are the strength differences common to the steering knuckles between the two?I'm not concerned about re-using parts that do not contribute to the strength gained by going to the 44, but I will be investing plenty in new ARB and gearset and bearings, etc., so I want to know what is and isn't re-usable, to compute the total cost and choose parts accordingly.
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

my buddy also wants to know what would interchange his 4cyl 95 YJ...he wants new axles
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

narrowed dana 44 front jeep cj

Wearing out the search function now, google next. Looks like the knuckles interchange, but may be thinner pieces than the 44's. Looking for side by side pics. The search continues....
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

It is highly unlikely that you will break a knuckle casting. The lockouts (if equipped) will most likely go first, followed by the u-joints, stock shafts, and then the gears if you upgrade to chromoly shafts and joints.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #7
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

so what fits on both?just the knuckles or from the inner c out?
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

You can put CJ dana 30 outers from the outer knuckle out on a Dana 44 open knuckle axle. But I don't know why you would. I think you would have to use a Scout Dana 44 stub shaft to connect the D44 inner shaft to the D30 lockouts. I think the D30 lockouts are made for a 27 spline stub shaft and Scouts used a stub shaft with 27 splines that has ears for the larger u-joint that is found on the dana 44 front shafts.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

I run 33's with premium 6 bolt lockouts. But after consideration of cost to set-up with ARB and r&p to match my D44 rear,I think I am going to concentrate on other projects for now. I will keep my eye open for a complete 44 to start this project with. I don't have a pressing need for it,finding the pre- narrowed housing kind of sparked my desire for a new project,and I would eventually like to have matching 44's, even though my D30 works great so far.Thanks for the detailed reply and Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.