D18 question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > D18 question?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
ridge28
1964 CJ5 

D18 question?

I recently swapped out my samll hole dana 18 for a large hole dana 18 and my speedo isnt working after plugging it into the large hole. Are the speedo gear input different? Can i just swap the small hole speedo gear input into the large hole?

ridge28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
DanStew
1963 M-38 

you should be able to switch out speedo gear. Also i would recheck the speedo cable and make sure it is all the way in on teh speedo and on the tcase .
DanStew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
ridge28
1964 CJ5 

are they different speedo gears or the same? cause it the large hole one seamed bigger?
ridge28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
DanStew
1963 M-38 

I believe they are different based on the axle ratio. They should fit on the same shaft. If you have both, just get a caliper and see if the inside opening is the same.
DanStew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

What Dan said. Other than the actual case casting and the index, the small and large index D18's use all the same parts and the speedo gears should interchange. The only exception is the intermediate gear teeth counts/shaft sizes but that would not affect anything other than the intermediate/bull gears.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.