Custom Shifter Knobs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Custom Shifter Knobs

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
mo-jeep

Custom Shifter Knobs

Hey guys/gals

I am wanting to build my own custom shifter knob for my CJ7 and maybe in the future, custom knobs for all types of jeeps. I have made my own cnc wood router with 4 axises and I am in the process of designing my own hard wood shifter knob. I was even thinking of possibly using the "Trail Rated" emblem on it. But the problem I am having is finding a universal nut or mounting system for the knob. Even finding the actually thread size of both shifters has proven to be a challenge for me. I am wanting to work out the kinks on a drilled out 8 ball or even over sized dices.....what ever I can find that looks kinda cool. But eventually I'll used hard woods like oak, maple, walnut for my shifter knob. May even use 2 or 3 kinds of woods to give it some character. With possible etching or relief cutting on the shifter knob itself. But once again, without a mounting system I can't really do much. Any ideas?? Has anyone else done this? Does anyone know where I can purchase a universal mounting system? Does anyone know the tread sizes for my cj7 or for that matter the thread size for the shifter/transfer case of all other jeeps?

mo-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

There's a guy on here that already makes billiard ball shifter knobs.

As for the mounting system, why not use concrete anchors?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

If you look at the stock shifter knobs offered they are either 3/8"x16 or 10mmx1.5. I imagine the std thread is for Jeeps and the metric is for Chrysler's.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
mo-jeep

Thanks guys, I am not sure if a concrete anchor would hold Mickey D, has any one tried this? My fear is that it would work itself loose and make driving more difficult. Thanks Renegade82 for the thread sizes, thats a big help. If anyone has some cool photos of there shifter knobs it would be great to see.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

For the threads, I would use a custom-machined aluminum insert with a heavy sharp knurl and press it into the wood, perhaps even with a bit of epoxy or something.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

careful with the use of copyrighted material.
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here is your competition, Bruce is a easy guy to deal with and does top notch work:

http://www.koolknobs.com/index.html
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I used 3/8 inch coupling nuts. I drilled the eight ball to an interference fit, cut the coupling nut in half and pressed it into the ball. For insurance I put a little epoxy around the nut before pressing it in. I used a capture nut below the ball to orientate it properly on the shaft of the stick shift.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
mo-jeep

Thanks mvigo for the site, his work sure looks well done. As for useing copyrighted material mike76cj5, thats not what I was intending to do. I have a few ideas of my own. Most shifter knobs are made out of an acrylic resin or some type of metal. I am after a more natural look, hard/exotic woods. With the use of some inlay or emblem involved or even some carving. I may make the tradition pool ball knobs, lol only cause I may have to buy bulk in the ferrels/adapters. I was even possibly thinking of trying one or two out of river rocks. But I am no where near making shifter knobs for all kinds of vehicles as of now. Just for the CJ/YJ and possible TJ models. I guess it depends if the thread sizes are the same or not.
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

My shifter knob is a beer tap handle. Solid brass center section with plastic caps on the ends of the "T". Unfortunately it's Schlitz, but hey it works and has for 25 years. Don't have any pictures. I seen some very nice cue ball types at the All Breeds Jeep show.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
CSP

Any woodworking supply store is going to stock threaded inserts for use with wood.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...eaded%20insert
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.