Custom Door Panel Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Custom Door Panel Ideas

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
davisk
1984 CJ7 

Custom Door Panel Ideas

Does anyone have any custom door panel ideas. I am going to replace my existing door panels and want to know if anyone has made panels out of wood or any other material. I could just by some replacements, but I want the jeep doors to stand out. Let me know....Thanks Kevin
84 CJ-7 with Hardtop and doors............

davisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Not sure if you have newer doors or older ones, but I have older ones and was looking for something... so, I saw a guy that made them and basically recovered some wood, so I bought them... then I found these cool different handles that weren't asw stiff, and more flexible, so in a way it is somewhat custom, but still holds to the original theme.

Not sure if that is what you were asking for or not, but I thought it turned out pretty cool.

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/image...e/100_1693.jpg

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
davisk
1984 CJ7 

That is what I am asking for....I have YJ doors for my CJ. The panels were trashed and currently I am riding around with no door panels. Although my Jeep is far from being finished I would like to tackle this step soon. Of course before too long the doors will be off the jeep and stuck in the garage for the warm weather.
davisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I made a new interior panel for the rear door of my World Cab hardtop, but the concept would be the same for making any other door panels. I used 1/8" chipboard (cardboard) available at an art supply store, cut it to shape, and covered it with diamond-plate vinyl I found online. I used 3M spray contact cement to adhere to vinyl to the cardboard.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
awful8484
1985 CJ7 

jscherb, thats a really great idea. Thanks!
awful8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
danheit
1979 CJ7 

I actually just used diamond plate material on my last YJ. Fit perfectly in the upper track and looks great with certain color combinations.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
CJATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I made a new interior panel for the rear door of my World Cab hardtop, but the concept would be the same for making any other door panels. I used 1/8" chipboard (cardboard) available at an art supply store, cut it to shape, and covered it with diamond-plate vinyl I found online. I used 3M spray contact cement to adhere to vinyl to the cardboard.

paper or plastic board... i think I'll try this with plastic...

if you used paper, how long ago/how has it held up?
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
JeepScrambler
1985 CJ8 

Jsherb,
Did you use the original style plastic clips/attachments to hold the panel to the door itself? If so, how did you attach the clips to the panel?
'06 Grand Cherokee "Overland"
JeepScrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrambler View Post
Jsherb,
Did you use the original style plastic clips/attachments to hold the panel to the door itself? If so, how did you attach the clips to the panel?
Yes I used the original method of attaching the panel, no they aren't plastic clips. This panel is on the rear door of a Jeep factory World Cab, and this World Cab came with a sheet-metal panel held on with sheet-metal screws. When I replaced the metal panel with my cardboard one, I still used sheet metal screws, although I used some nicer black ones.

If I were making panels for the driver/passenger doors, I definitely would have used the original style plastic clips. They're very easy to use, they screw right into the cardboard panel, and using them wouldn't require any door modifications.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJATE View Post
paper or plastic board... i think I'll try this with plastic...

if you used paper, how long ago/how has it held up?
I wrote the answer to that in the post that you quoted... I used 1/8 chipboard, a type of cardboard, it's available at art supply stores. I also used this when I made the headliner for my World Cab. Here's a photo of the headliner. Both the door panel and the headliner have been in the Jeep for several years, they're like new still.

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.