Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

custom dash ideas

79K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  SKT 
#1 ·
I was about to start installing some new gauges, but like all other projects it has morphed a bigger one. I've seen some pretty cool, functional custom dash's(?), so I thought a thread with ideas or pics might be in order.

Lets see 'em!

#4 ·
The switches are for "Fog" "Off Road" and "Rear" lights. I got all of that made at a trophy shop.

Yes, I can still drop my windshield. All it takes is removing two screws (on each side) with a T-handle Allen wrench tool.

Here's another dash (someone else made) that I thought was interesting...

#53 ·
Here's another dash (someone else made) that I thought was interesting...

Hey what are those things on his hood? At first I thought they were just bigger stops for the windshield but the left one looks open and seems to have something inside of there.

#9 ·
x2!

BTW, if you see a dash you like, before you run off to build one like it, ask the poster if their defroster still works - many people put gauges or something in the center above the stock gauge locations, which often interferes with the defroster ducting. I've seen many of these where people don't plan ahead and end up without a defroster because of the stuff in the new dash :)

#17 ·
There is a thread in the picture request forum titled, "what makes your Jeep special" I was going to list my all original (fully functioning) dash as my contribution. It is loaded with TJ guys and I didn't think that they would understand though.

#21 ·
and sometimes, if im lucky, i get to play the "guess how fast i'm REALLY going game"
Or the, "But officer, my Jeep won't even go that fast" game. :laugh: Well, that's another reason a GPS is good thing to take along. :cheers2:

#25 ·
Yes the upper larger bezel will clear the duct. It's not that much higher than the stock gauge. Most of the full replacement dashs like above are $180. If you want speaker slots it would be a little bit more. I get all the dashs laser cut and the bezels are on a 20 degree angle to the left and up so you can actually read your aftermarket gauges. If you pay over $150 for new gauges you might as well be able to read them easly. The bezels are thin wall dom tubing welding in, they fit 3 3/8" tach and speedos, the others are for 2 1/16". Dashs are just a little thing I do on the side at my home shop for the CJ guys, I know the aftermarket world sucks for us. I haven't done one dash that is the same yet, everything is custom made to what you want, not what you can buy out of a magazine. Thanks if you would like a custom design just drop me an email. I'm not trying to be a vendor or sponor my work, just love to make dashs for the CJ lovers of the world.

#39 · (Edited)

Here is mine in process... I'm not sure I'm keeping it exactly this way yet. This is my first stab at it and I am thinking I may want to add switches for my air lockers which I did not plan for originally. So, I may ditch the logo to make room and move some stuff around. I did the defroster mod with the pvc tubing so I have no interefence anywhere behind my dash and can put everything exactly where I want it.

I own a machine shop with CNC equipment and making this kind of stuff is very fun for me. I can never leave well enough alone... I'll probably end up with 3 or 4 versions when I'm done. Everything is made from billet aluminum and all guages will have rings around them with stainless steel screws.

#41 ·
Click free. Just change the url to img.

Here is mine in process... I'm not sure I'm keeping it exactly this way yet. This is my first stab at it and I am thinking I may want to add switches for my air lockers which I did not plan for originally. So, I may ditch the logo to make room and move some stuff around. I did the defroster mod with the pvc tubing so I have no interefence anywhere behind my dash and can put everything exactly where I want it.

I own a machine shop with CNC equipment and making this kind of stuff is very fun for me. I can never leave well enough alone... I'll probably end up with 3 or 4 versions when I'm done. Everything is made from billet aluminum and all guages will have rings around them with stainless steel screws.

Sorry for the clicks, I'm fairly new also.

#42 ·
I don't have a pic handy but it is very similar to the pics I think you posted in post#10... I thought I was original for coming up with the pvc solution but obviously someone else thought of it as well. Whoever you got the pics from did a nice job, only difference is I hard plumbed it vs. using pool vac hose. I didn't even think to use vac hose like that... probably makes it much nicer to service.

Fred

#43 ·
Great fab jobs you folks have posted here!

Can anyone tell me if there is adequate clearance ABOVE the STOCK Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauges for additional guages on a '78 CJ 5 dash?

#44 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is adequate clearance ABOVE the STOCK Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauges for additional guages on a '78 CJ 5 dash?
Very little if any. Off to the right - yes, but not right above the OEM gauges. Make a plate to go over the stock holes and put two over the other two that way. Make sure to go lower with bottom two gauges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.