currie axle thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > currie axle thoughts?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
justinwatts8282
1985 CJ7 

currie axle thoughts?

the 85 CJ7 i just bought has a currie rear axle and as far as i can tell from research its basicly a ford 9" axle im curious as to the what your guys thoughts are on those axles i know a true ford 9" is a stout axle but still curious as to yalls opinion is there anyone out there that is currently running one and can tell me the performance of one im basicly trying to restore it with basic modifications for minor off roading and hunting and such your opinion will be greatly appreciated thanks.

justinwatts8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
CSP

Is the pinion above or below the centerline of the axleshafts? If it's above it's actually a reverse cut 8.8 modified to use in a 9" housing.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

The ford 9inch is as good or maybe better than the amc 20. And would be great for minor offroading and hunting.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
The ford 9inch is as good or maybe better than the amc 20. And would be great for minor offroading and hunting.
"Maybe better" You don't have a clue of what your talking about?
The 9" is what Carroll Shelby put in the back of his Cobra's put'n out 400+ HP. They held up just fine on the street and track
I've been run'n a Currie 9" for 22 yrs and have never had an issue.
The larger shoe brakes were worth the cost alone..
The Currie rear is one of the best mods I ever did to my '7'.

LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
justinwatts8282
1985 CJ7 

that is awesome im glad it came with the jeep when i bought it that will save me an upgrade in the future now im just waiting for the PO to tell me what the gearing is in the axles so that way i can make the gearing appropriate for 33x12.50 tires.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Justin, IF,, the PO was the one to install the '9'. Maybe you can call Currie and ask'em when you give them the name. Currie keeps a record of their builds. Have Currie send you some catalogs also. Currie is a class act.
I'm run'n 4:88's with my 33's(5 speed).

LG
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
CSP

Not that I disagree with what LG said, but you may not have a real 9". Look at what I wrote above. The Currie high pinion has just a shadow of the strength that a true 9" has. You need to determine which one it is before jumping for joy.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

OP, post some pics
LG
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Not that I disagree with what LG said, but you may not have a real 9". Look at what I wrote above. The Currie high pinion has just a shadow of the strength that a true 9" has. You need to determine which one it is before jumping for joy.
Even if it is a reverse rotation carrier it may have the nodular iron center section with thick cut gears in which case you are going to have to try pretty darn hard to ever hurt it. My 9" rear axle is not a Currie unit but with 31 spline axles and locker I have yet to break it with 325 hp in front of it for 23 years and 430 hp in front of it the last few months.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The 9" can be made as strong as a Dana 60 if it's set up the right way. You can go as large as 35 spline axles in them, way more than most of us need. CSP is correct in calling out the weekness of the high pinion 9", unless it's a true high pinion, but even at that it's still not as strong as the low pinion 9". The low pinion of the 9" is one of it's strong points. There's more tooth contact between the ring and pinion gear with them as compared to almost any other axle. The trade off is dragging the pinion on more things, slight in my opinion though and more driveshaft angle. The 9" also has the pinion supported by a bearing on the opposite end of the yoke, many similiar sized axles don't do that. There's also a huge amount of aftermarket support for them. There's many center sections that they came out with too and some are better housings than others.

I have both front a rear Curries on mine. It's still in the frame off stage and going together so I can't offer any real experience but as far as I'm concerned the 9" is one of the very best axles you can have under a CJ.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #11
justinwatts8282
1985 CJ7 

after double checking the pinion of the axle is on the bottom so i believe its a real 9" which would be by far way more than i need for what i will be wanting to do with my jeep but i am going to try and contact currie and see if i can get the information on the axle itself and see what they have for the actual build but i thank you all for your knowledge i wouldnt have even known which one i had untill yall told me.
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
"Maybe better" You don't have a clue of what your talking about?
The 9" is what Carroll Shelby put in the back of his Cobra's put'n out 400+ HP. They held up just fine on the street and track
I've been run'n a Currie 9" for 22 yrs and have never had an issue.
The larger shoe brakes were worth the cost alone..
The Currie rear is one of the best mods I ever did to my '7'.

LG
Yeah, I didn't know that. But atleast I knew it was good axle
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
Yeah, I didn't know that. But atleast I knew it was good axle
It's 100X, more axle than that POS Mod 20 could ever be.
BTW: YOU said it was as "good or MAYBE better" than the 20 and for "MINOR offroading". You should stop digging now.
Carry on,
LG
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

I have Currie's 9" in the front and rear and they are great.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack61 View Post
Even if it is a reverse rotation carrier it may have the nodular iron center section with thick cut gears in which case you are going to have to try pretty darn hard to ever hurt it. My 9" rear axle is not a Currie unit but with 31 spline axles and locker I have yet to break it with 325 hp in front of it for 23 years and 430 hp in front of it the last few months.
What CSP is saying is that the Currie brand Reverse cut gears are actually Ford 8.8 gears. Those are not as strong as true High 9 gears. Generally, when used as a rearend, reverse cut gears have less strength than standard cut rear gears because when driven forward off the reverse side, there is more tendency for the gears to want to deflect.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.