CU583 vs. CU803 Radiator woes! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
taylorce1
1984 CJ7 

CU583 vs. CU803 Radiator woes!

I have a Jeep that's eating radiators and twice I've installed the CU583 and I can't get it to work properly. I keep trying to order the CU803 but I keep getting the CU583. Which every parts store tells me that this radiator is a fit for my CJ. I've tried changing the mounts on the radiator and sliding it inside of the grill to get clearance. Nothing has worked to give me enough clearance to keep the fan out of the radiator. I'm now returning the 5th CU583 in as many weeks from three different parts stores and two online retailers.

I've replaced the motor mounts and transmission mounts as well as pushed the braces out as far as possible and still keep the front fenders mounted to the grill. I've also changed the mounts on the radiator and put slipped the radiator inside the grill to no avail. I do have the issue of a stripped capture nut for the grill mount, but I'm in the process of either sourcing a new grill or capture nut for my old one when my Jeep goes back together.

I plan on going back with an electric fan this time, either a Flex-a-lite dual fan or the Contour conversion. However, I want to make sure there is enough clearance between the fans and the front of engine. There is no way for me to mock anything up right now to see if there is enough clearance. My engine is out being rebuilt and I'm just trying to put parts together to get the CJ back together when the engine comes back. Anyone have any suggestions?

84 CJ7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The CU583 is not the correct radiator for your application. It is intended for a V8. As you have observed, it does not sit far enough into the grill shell to provide adequate clearance for the longer I6 engine configuration. You may be able to get it to work if you extend the mounting flange to allow the radiator to sit all the way forward in the grill AND switch to an electric fan. I don't think there is any way for the stock clutch fan to work with a 3-row radiator intended for a V8.

The CU803 is a 2-row radiator, but the mounting brackets do not recess far enough into the grill. Maybe this is intended for a non-clutch fan

The Spectra replacement you need is the CU58. It is a 2-row radiator that sits all the way forward in the grill. This should have adequate clearance for the clutch fan on a 258 right out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...0YP5K3R8A1M14D

California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
taylorce1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
The CU583 is not the correct radiator for your application. It is intended for a V8. As you have observed, it does not sit far enough into the grill shell to provide adequate clearance for the longer I6 engine configuration. You may be able to get it to work if you extend the mounting flange to allow the radiator to sit all the way forward in the grill AND switch to an electric fan. I don't think there is any way for the stock clutch fan to work with a 3-row radiator intended for a V8.

The CU803 is a 2-row radiator, but the mounting brackets do not recess far enough into the grill. Maybe this is intended for a non-clutch fan

The Spectra replacement you need is the CU58. It is a 2-row radiator that sits all the way forward in the grill. This should have adequate clearance for the clutch fan on a 258 right out of the box.
Thanks! I'll give the CU58 a shot, but believe me I'll be angry as all get out if I get the CU583 again from NAPA. That's where this last radiator came from and I'll just return it there rather than order online.

My next question then with the CU58 does the air conditioning condenser go in front of or behind the radiator and will I have room for it? My CJ does have AC and I want to get it working as well since I'll be putting the hard top and doors back on. I don't have a condenser or drier currently and I figured they got removed by the PO as most of the AC parts were removed and laying in the passenger seat when I bought the Jeep.

84 CJ7 Laredo

post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Shadow86
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Thanks! I'll give the CU58 a shot, but believe me I'll be angry as all get out if I get the CU583 again from NAPA. That's where this last radiator came from and I'll just return it there rather than order online.

My next question then with the CU58 does the air conditioning condenser go in front of or behind the radiator and will I have room for it? My CJ does have AC and I want to get it working as well since I'll be putting the hard top and doors back on. I don't have a condenser or drier currently and I figured they got removed by the PO as most of the AC parts were removed and laying in the passenger seat when I bought the Jeep.
My air conditioning condenser goes in front of the radiator towards the grill. So it would be grill, air conditioning condenser, radiator, clutch fan, etc.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

In general, the condenser would go in front of the radiator. I would expect that there is plenty of room, as the condenser would sit directly below the hood latch in the space in front of the radiator and behind the grill slats.

California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
taylorce1
1984 CJ7 

Thanks gentlemen, I figured that is where the condenser was placed. However my manual doesn't really talk much about the A.C. system. I did purchase the M.R. 252 AND 255 shop manuals to help me out, I'm 1
just waiting for them to come in.

84 CJ7 Laredo
post #7 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

All AC condensers go in front of the radiator.......

bazinga
post #8 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 11:02 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

There are two water pumps for a 258. One has a short snout and the other has a longer one. I have the longer snout and it cost me a radiator too. You can also also put an electric fan on the grill side of the radiator. I have mine set to pull cooler outside air into the engine compartment. Mine never comes on unless I'm in heavy traffic, going real slow, or parked.

You can also buy a 3 core brass/copper radiator that fits well from Summit Racing in the $270 price range.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
taylorce1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
All AC condensers go in front of the radiator.......
That's what I was guessing, but without a condenser in hand and no pictures to go by I had to ask. Especially since what I find on AC being a dealer installed option. Plus I wanted to make sure there would be room to put a condenser in front of the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
There are two water pumps for a 258. One has a short snout and the other has a longer one.
I've heard that, but every pump I get has the same shaft length. Plus I figured there can't be much difference if you want pulleys to line up. Do you have a part number and is it for a reverse rotation water pump I run a serpentine belt?

84 CJ7 Laredo
post #10 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 01:02 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I've heard that, but every pump I get has the same shaft length. Plus I figured there can't be much difference if you want pulleys to line up. Do you have a part number and is it for a reverse rotation water pump I run a serpentine belt?
No I don't. Mine has a V belt. It had a fixed four bladed metal fan until it hit the radiator--second reason I use an electric fan. Didn't realize you had one of the new modern CJs7s.

Get it fixed and good luck.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.