CTO Valve,PVC and Weber 32 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CTO Valve,PVC and Weber 32 36

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

CTO Valve,PVC and Weber 32 36

I removed the cto valve and can't find it, I ran the pcv right into the carb via the booster connection and got blue smoke, then i ran the front pcv into the bottom of the weber air clean and got no smoke but a little blow by of the rear valve cover. I got 50-60 pds of oil pressure when driving, no problem there.

Can anyone offer any info on how i can reroute the pcv front and rear so i don't have any blow by, or can i purchase another cto at a parts house or find a used one around. thanks

chuckwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

A little confusing in what you are saying. There is only "one" PCV valve usually located in the front grommet hole on the valve cover. The rear grommet hole is for fresh air intake from the air filter that supplies are that is drawn out by the PCV valve connected to full manifold vacuum.

The CTO valve is nothing more than a thermal switch that allows vacuum to pass through it once the engine coolant warms to a certain temperature. The PCV valve does not connect to the CTO valve. The EGR valve is connected to the CTO after the vacuum source goes through an ambient air thermal switch located in the air filter housing.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

I understand what you are saying, the back inlet on the valve cover is basically for the fresh air in and should be hooked up to the air cleaner, but if I hook the pcv into the vaccum on the carb I get blue smoke, there is a diverter in the valve cover, so its not oil splashing into the pcv valve

the question is were can i hook the pcv into to draw enough air threw the valve cover, so the engine doesn't smoke. If I go threw the booster nipple into the intake the engine smokes
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You got something else going on there then and probably need a new PCV valve and change your oil more often.
A supplied adapter plate for the Weber carb has a brass nipple for hooking up the PCV valve hose to as pictured.
The system consists of a small air intake breather hose mounted in the intake tract before the throttle body, and the PCV valve, which is typically in the intake manifold or the valve cover. Air flow is from the breather before the throttle body, through the crankcase, up the PCV valve and into the intake manifold after the throttle body. It's basically a controlled air leak, with the PCV valve acting as a one-way check valve that has adjustable flow characteristics.

If the PCV valve gets plugged, here's what happens, roughly in order:

1. Excess crankcase pressure begins to back up the engine's breather tube, into the intake air tube upstream of the throttle body
2. Oil begins to be pumped into the air intake tube through the breather hose, upstream of the throttle plate.
3. Oil runs down the intake tube into the throttle body.
4. Oil sludges up the throttle body and throttle plate. Gas pedal starts to get sticky. Airflow reduced. More power loss, possible poor driveability.
5. Oil drips into intake manifold runners. Blue smoke seen out of tailpipe.
6. Breather tube begins to get constricted from oil contamination and airflow is reduced. Crankcase pressure mounts dramatically.
7. Oil pushed past valve guide oil seals. More blue smoke.
8. Dripping on driveway as oil is pushed past seals.

Last edited by keith460; 12-09-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

the pic helps, so tieing into the canister helps the volume of gases coming from the head out into the pcv, I would assume that the smoking would stop. or do I have to much pressure coming from the engine into the valve cover and then into the vaccum line
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I added to the post with the picture.

Unread 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

thanks keith, I do understand whats being said, I think the nipple might be to big for the manifold vaccum, I will re-route it all tomorrow and down size the intake nipple. the pcv is new, the engine was recently rebuilt. I think the manifold was getting way to much of the engine vapor causeing it to smoke. Plus I need to change the oil, the engine is still breaking in. thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.