CTO switch questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
jtad
1980 CJ7 

CTO switch questions

Trying to figure out all this stuff under my hood. I have a 80 CJ 7 with a 258. On mine the block mounted CTO is disconnected. Someone has added one inline in one of the heater hoses. I guess it works just the same? I have looked on this forum and a few others. Is there anywhere that simplifys all this mess? Do I really need all that stuff under there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad
Trying to figure out all this stuff under my hood. I have a 80 CJ 7 with a 258. On mine the block mounted CTO is disconnected. Someone has added one inline in one of the heater hoses. I guess it works just the same? I have looked on this forum and a few others. Is there anywhere that simplifys all this mess? Do I really need all that stuff under there?
The biggest questions are:

1. How is it running currently? Any reason to mess with it?

2. What state are you in (do you need to pass smog?)

1980 CJ7 - The Grenade
post #3 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
jtad
1980 CJ7 

In Texas, and the county I am in doesn't do a smog test... It runs pretty good except for at highway speed going up hills it falls all over its self. If you floor it while going up hills (it is Texas I am not talking very big hills, like going down the interstate and climbing little hill) it will start missing. As soon as you top the hill it stops, or if you keep your foot out of it, it will make it up it but you loose a bunch of speed.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM
1983 CJ7 

CTO and heater hose are 2 different things CTO for vacuum operating or coolant temp overide which is operated by coolant temp is in intake manifold which the heater hoses run thru in series to the heater core.If the CTO is running on the discharge of the heater core hose it wouldn't be getting true temp reading.I'd put the CTO back in the intake manifold up front by where the heater hose enters the intake manifold if its water type manifold.If its not the waterjacket type intake they could have changed it and located there.Here's a pic where mine is located you'll see the heater hose a sensor then the CTO is behind the wire a little
Attached Thumbnails
P1010177.jpg   P1010004.jpg  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
jtad
1980 CJ7 

My CTO is located inline in one of the heater hoses. My original CTO is locted in the engine block, not the manifold like yours.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM
1983 CJ7 

I'd put it back in the block.There should be a opening for it under the cto pic i put up.About 1/2 way down the block.Maybe he stripped it out or plugged it.
Can you put any pics up.I don't know how many posts you have to have to do it.It used to be 25 or use photobucket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.