CRT HEI cam gear question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CRT HEI cam gear question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

CRT HEI cam gear question

I just installed a new CRT Performance HEI system on my 85 258 I6. After reading some posts in this forum, I realize there are some cheap imports that can cause the cam gear to wear. Does anyone have any knowledge as to the quality of the CRT? I would rather replace the dist. than to have to replace the cam.

Isn't this soooo much fun?....

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

From thier pictures they seem to be using STEEL gears. I know that my cam gear is iron (81 AMC-V-8)...not as strong as steel. You can buy a Malory bronze gear ($80) or re-use your old gear from the old Distibutor.

You can test the hardness os the 2 gears by trying to scratch them with a nail on an unimportant surface (16p is a good size). If the result is the same on both gears you fine.

I am currently fixing the shreaded cam gear in mine. FYI the gear on the cam is removable.
Robert
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva View Post
You can buy a Malory bronze gear ($80) or re-use your old gear from the old Distibutor.
I am probably wrong, but think I remember readin a post where you have to modify the original gear in some way to reuse it. Is this correct, or will it just work as is. Do you think I should not take any chances, and replace it with my original?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

some drilling may be reuired to fit the roll pin. not real difficult with a drill press. be sure to pien the pin once it is installed to keep it from coming out.
Unread 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
some drilling may be reuired to fit the roll pin. not real difficult with a drill press. be sure to pien the pin once it is installed to keep it from coming out.
So, by your reply are you recommending I go ahead with the gear swap to be on the safe side? I just finally got the timing tweaked so I don't have "pinging". Kind of hate to remove the distributor again, but I guess it's better safe than sorry in this case.
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

OK, for the orignal question...
Yes, there have been some complaints about CRT gears here.

The only way to test for sure if it's steel or iron is to chuck up about an 1/8" drill bit, and drill into the apron of the gear about 90° from the pin hole.
If it drills easily, it's iron...

If it drills hard, it's probably the Spanish hardened steel gear and you shouldn't use it.

Then all you have to worry about is if the guys that made the gear did the tooth profile correctly.
Some of the Mexican iron gears had the wrong tooth profile, but were at least iron...

The I-6 engine has the cam gear cut into the cam it's self,
While the V-8 has a removable gear at the end of the cam.

SO,
If you are going to use a aftermarket gear on a I-6 cam gear, you had better make every effort to be 'Correct' or your cam goes away...
------------------

One other thing to clear up,
The gear off your '85 factory distributor WILL NOT fit on on most aftermarket HEI clones... So there is no "Using the old one to be safe".

You will have to measure your distributor shaft. Most HEI clones aren't even close to factory GM HEI size, but you might get lucky and if you do, I can give you the part number for the correct gear for your application.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
godrocksus1

So I have an original chevy HEI Dist (82 chevy pu). can I use the gear off my original 258 distributor?
godrocksus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrocksus1 View Post
So I have an original chevy HEI Dist (82 chevy pu). can I use the gear off my original 258 distributor?
Like I just said,
NO, YOU CAN NOT USE A GM GEAR, THEY TURN THE WRONG WAY.

NO YOU CAN NOT USE THE MOTORCRAFT GEAR ON AN HEI...
The shafts are not close to being the same size, so there is no using the old gear in this case...

Measure the shaft and use a proper size gear,

NAPA/Echlin p/n DG 400, DG 401 or DG 402 should work.
This is the correct gear for your AMC engine on a Delco distributor shaft.

Last edited by JeepHammer; 02-18-2009 at 07:48 AM..
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
jaykump
1974 CJ5 

I just bought a HEI dist. from 4WD along with a new cam gear from the same place......30 miles later I don't have a cam gear.....has anyone else had issues with 4wd Dist.? I bought theirs instead of ebay cuz I had faith in them.....need to wait until Monday to find out what they will do

Anybody know if MSD gears will work on this HEI?

Unread 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
CALICONOTTS
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Crt Hei?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
OK, for the orignal question...
Yes, there have been some complaints about CRT gears here.

The only way to test for sure if it's steel or iron is to chuck up about an 1/8" drill bit, and drill into the apron of the gear about 90° from the pin hole.
If it drills easily, it's iron...

If it drills hard, it's probably the Spanish hardened steel gear and you shouldn't use it.

Then all you have to worry about is if the guys that made the gear did the tooth profile correctly.
Some of the Mexican iron gears had the wrong tooth profile, but were at least iron...

The I-6 engine has the cam gear cut into the cam it's self,
While the V-8 has a removable gear at the end of the cam.

SO,
If you are going to use a aftermarket gear on a I-6 cam gear, you had better make every effort to be 'Correct' or your cam goes away...
------------------

One other thing to clear up,
The gear off your '85 factory distributor WILL NOT fit on on most aftermarket HEI clones... So there is no "Using the old one to be safe".

You will have to measure your distributor shaft. Most HEI clones aren't even close to factory GM HEI size, but you might get lucky and if you do, I can give you the part number for the correct gear for your application.
So am i to understand that the CRT's comming from North-east america have a cheap steal cam gear that basicly shaves off the cam gear?.

and the only way to prevent damage is to replace the cam gear.

i have a 4.2 with a standard cam, could you give me a part number for the exact gear i require to put on this CRT please, sir?

thanks

mike

i ordered it last week and just have to stop this brand new engine running like it is.
CALICONOTTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
dodchall70

So, if the gear is one of the bad ones on a CRT dist, how long do you think it will take to tear up the cam gear?

[COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Black"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #75[/COLOR][/COLOR]
dodchall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

dist

jaykumph, did you buy the hei dist thats about $150.00 or did you get the DUI dist thats closer to $300.
bill g.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I used a junkyard chevy HEI and changed the gear to the one from an AMC 360 V8.

This next line is a quote from the url below. I don't remember where I ordered my gear but it was not a jeep dealer.

"The MOPAR number is 3208615. I called the local NAPA shop and got it for $32."
http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/hei_upgrade.htm
Unread 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

JeepHammer speaks the truth.... reading thru the post further and see he is already on the ball. Sorry to say this is a awfull situation for our AMC engines.

Sorry...

Quote:
You can test the hardness os the 2 gears by trying to scratch them with a nail on an unimportant surface.

FYI the gear on the cam is removable.

I would suggest when testing the Distributor Gear, you try to drill with a std drill bit. If it drills easy then ok to use. The only Distributor Assemblies that I have heard are good are MSD & DUI. Any ebay stuff or others are roll of the dice, and there area other problems besides gear hardness. Shaft diameters vairy, lengths vary, arc to ground paths, wrong cuts on gears are other current problems. So a search and has been posted many times. Can also bind the oil pump and cause failure due to no oil

MSD sells the cam gears for different shaft diameters in the correct materials.

The V8 cam gear can be removed. The I6 like the poster has a one piece cam and the gear cannot be removed. Again the cam gear cannot be removed from the I6 258 and 232.

Be carefull with the HEI Distributors, you can kill your engine, and I kring about the idea of all that hardened metal in my engine internals.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
CALICONOTTS
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK People, time to cut the bull****, ive spoken with CRT, hes a dude thats been building these dist's for time, hes American. He's given me his word that its all a load of bollocks! about the steal gear.

He really wants to know who started this horse-**** so he can give them a damn good thrashing, in all honesty.

the gear that comes on the CRT is iron, hes even given me a part no-

Rockwell Hardness 50-55 HRC.

and its made in THE USA!.

The part is on its way, im a service writer at a auto repair center, ill have the part inspected, and ill post some pictures and a review and clear the air on this part and CRT.

Please, make the forums more use than just a descrimination center of product sales.

wait for my response, lets all know for sure what we are buying at my expense.

cool?.

Last edited by CALICONOTTS; 01-06-2009 at 09:37 AM..
CALICONOTTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.