Crown Windshield rubber - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crown Windshield rubber

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Crown Windshield rubber

no fit..Anyone else have this issue?

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Haven't used one, but I can't say I'm surprised......it's a Crown part!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Looks the Same as my Crown did.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

YOW! That's pretty bad! Got mine from Q-tec... don't remember what the brand is, but it fit just fine. Got a second one for my son's Jeep. It fit too. Where'd you get yours?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Wow, that's really off. Wonder if it was mis packaged and for something else.
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I have one just like that lying around somewhere. It cost me my OEM glass. I took the frame and seal to a glass shop, and they had to order one thru their supplier since it didn't fit. I would recommend the extra $$ to get one from a glass shop. I have a hard time trusting Crown parts anymore.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

I can't imagine that the glass shop can get one any different than we can get. I guess the only difference would be the shop would be responsible for getting another if it didn't fit.
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Make sure your drive through some good rain to test the fit once its installed... Apparently jeep engineers knew how to properly seal the windshield 30 years ago. But today a shop even with modern sealants cant frigging do it... My windshield has been redone and sealed twice and it still leaks water when im driving in the rain.. Not sitting still, bit driving somehow forces water into the windshield gasket and then pours all over my dash and feet... And trust me, its not the cowl gasket..
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

I bought this one at 4wd.com. I guess I'll give them a call about it or see if Omix makes one. I called 3 auto glass places. None of them want to use my windshield..which sux. I like mine b/c it has like the factory green tint to it. JC Whitney has one made by Garage Pro..anyone have any experience with that rubber? I'd almost take a good used one at this point ..thx guys.
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6CJ7 View Post
Make sure your drive through some good rain to test the fit once its installed... Apparently jeep engineers knew how to properly seal the windshield 30 years ago. But today a shop even with modern sealants cant frigging do it... My windshield has been redone and sealed twice and it still leaks water when im driving in the rain.. Not sitting still, bit driving somehow forces water into the windshield gasket and then pours all over my dash and feet... And trust me, its not the cowl gasket..
Good luck, Rob. And the above statement is true on both our CJs! Thought it was just us. One glass I installed, the other done at a shop, both leak water around the seal, past the metal lip of the frame. The gasket does not make a water-tight seal to the glass. Maybe something to watch out for...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Good luck, Rob. And the above statement is true on both our CJs! Thought it was just us. One glass I installed, the other done at a shop, both leak water around the seal, past the metal lip of the frame. The gasket does not make a water-tight seal to the glass. Maybe something to watch out for...
Kent Automotive Glass Mastic. Exactly what it's made for.
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I figure the glass shop actually gets their stuff from a part supplier that is more quality controlled. I could picture the Crown part being the 2nds or whatever...

When the OEM glass broke, I ordered a new one thru the glass dealer and they asked if it was tinted or not. The replacement is green tinted too. I was happy about that.

Mine is leaking too, but I attribute that to the fact that I couldn't get the seal to fit in perfectly. I have raised up sections in the corners where the seal bends and opened up from the glass. I have worked some silicone into it, but now I'll have to do the same to the outer seal against the frame because it does seep some in heavy rains now. Its not as bad as before I sealed the glass part, but it does bug me that it still leaks...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've had this happen enough with Crown to vow never to buy their junk again. Bummer.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Is that a manufacturer? I've done these types of windshields before so I'll attempt it again as long as I have the right rubber.
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Is that a manufacturer? I've done these types of windshields before so I'll attempt it again as long as I have the right rubber.

Edit: Gotcha that's the sealant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.