crossmember mounting to frame and transmission mounting to crossmember problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > crossmember mounting to frame and transmission mounting to crossmember problems.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-03-2002, 05:34 AM   #1
77mudder

crossmember mounting to frame and transmission mounting to crossmember problems.

I have a 77 CJ7. It had a V-8 T3 and D20. now i am installing a
I-6 T176 D300. my problem is that no matter which way i try i can not get the crossmember to mount to the frame and be able to mount the transmission to that crossmember without riggin something up. I would rather not do that but unless there were different crossmembers for the different years then I don't know why it isn't bolting up together. Does anybody know how exactly to mount that tranny to the crossmember. I am trying to use a polyurethane mount but the stablilizer isn't coming anywhere near the transmission mount. thanks for the help.

Unread 12-03-2002, 07:13 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You pretty much answered your own question. When Jeeps started using the Dana 300, they also changed tranny crosmembers to that one that dips down on the passenger side. The older one you have is pretty much flat and interferes with the Dana 300 drop? I would cut, hack, beat, and weld it to make it work but that's just the kind of person I am. Besides, it' only metal . Otherwise pick up a used crossmember from an 81-86 and you should be good.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 06:08 AM   #3
77mudder

crap

well mine has a big hump in the front section then two small humps that aren't for anything. do you happen to know if you use stabilizer bushings on this tranny? nothing interferes with the D300 drop it just is like 3 inches too short or 3 inches too long depending on if i slide the crossmember forward or back.
Unread 12-04-2002, 09:10 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not exactly sure on how the stock TC is setup. I mounted mine without any type of torque arm and haven't had any problems... yet.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.