Crossmember bolts stripped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crossmember bolts stripped

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-26-2002, 12:06 AM   #1
jamerkel

Crossmember bolts stripped

Something's been making a fair amount of noise in my clutch, and it's about time to change it out anyway, so I was going to try to drop the tranny last weekend.

But when trying to get the crossmember off, I ended up stripping a few of the bolts. It's been years since they've come off, so I'm sure they're completely rusted out.

They were extremely stiff, but only a few came out. 2 stripped and I broke the head off another. I was trying to do it as gently as possible, but now I'm afraid I'm screwed.

How do you suppose I get 'em out, and what should I do about re-tapping and replacement?

'88 YJ 4.2L
Weber 32/36, Mallory Ignition, Owned since '93.
jamerkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
squid

Jeff, I think this is very common with old Jeeps. If the welded in nuts are still solid just get some sharp bits and drill them out and re-tap. For me, I was lucky, I was able to knock out the welded in nuts. I then made steel plates with studs sticking out of them. Loctite (permanent stuff) the studs into the plates. Then I slipped the plate/stud assemblies (I made 6, one for each hole) through a big stamped hole in the frame and somehow slipped each into position. Then I made small sheet metal retaining clips to keep the plate/studs from pushing through when you try to put in the crossmember. (you could use nuts to hold in the plate/stud, but the crossmember will then stand off from the frame. Anyway, I've also seen people use angle iron bolted to the sides of the frame. The horizontal part of the angle iron is in the same plane as the bottom of the frame. Make new holes in your crossmember and you can bolt it up.
Nothing is easy.

Dave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.