Crazy Idea - Lowered 2WD CJ7 with Postal Jeep Front End? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crazy Idea - Lowered 2WD CJ7 with Postal Jeep Front End?

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

View Poll Results: Rat Rod Jeep?
Yes - it would be cool 42 43.75%
No - it would not be cool 42 43.75%
I don't know 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Crazy Idea - Lowered 2WD CJ7 with Postal Jeep Front End?

Rat rods are all the rage at the moment (I guess they were always cool) and it got me thinking. I know you guys are going to think that it's blasphemous to lower a Jeep but why not? It's something that I have never seen before and think it would be pretty cool.

What if I were to take the front 2WD beam out of a Postal Jeep and swap it on to a CJ7 (or CJ8 if I could find one) frame?

Lower it as much as possible, remove the hood and front fenders, put really wide tires out back and skinnies up front with a stout V8, narrow the bed in the rear and put a cage in it?

Yes, no, you're kidding right?

What do you guys think?

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
danheit
1979 CJ7 

I'm gonna go with "you're kidding, right?"
Not that I don't love rat rods, but Jeeps were never meant to be converted like that. That's why you don't see old Honda's turned into rats. There is a certain type of vehicle that is meant for that.

Now, I will say that there is a guy in Socastee (Myrtle Beach, SC) selling a CJ-8 that is already set up exactly what you are speaking of. However, he has it as a sand drag Jeep. 2wd, big paddle tires out back, dropped in the front running skinnies. Big motor, etc. etc. Full glass body. I think he only wanted around $1500 IIRC. He had it on CL.

Good Luck to you no matter which way you go. My only request is that instead of butchering a CJ, find a YJ and swap the front clip to CJ. That way you aren't really hurting a piece of history!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

I guess it would be cool, if it makes you happy. You would certainly have a pretty unique ride. I guess my thoughts are that, for the money invested and the engineering, and what you would have when you were done, finding a mid-60's car and rodding that might make for a better finished product, or at least one that you would enjoy driving in a little more. But, it wouldn't be as unique as the CJ-7 Rod.

If it makes you happy, I say go for it...
Unread 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I wouldn't be able to do it to a 7, but I am thinking a rusted out hulk of an old 5 or perhaps a 2A or something older might be able to be done... I am talking something that no one wanted at all that you take and give it a 2nd life... then it would be cool!

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Twistedper
1979 CJ7 

Is this what you were thinking?
[IMG][/IMG]

This isn't mine I found the picture a while back. Apparently it's a 47 Willys Jeep.

A few years ago when I had an S10 blazer I thought about doing this.

Street Rods by Rodster® – roadster, sedan delivery, & pickup truck street rod bodies

But I would rather have my Jeeps. As far as my personal opinion I wouldn't do it. The idea of bastardizing a jeep is just reprehensible to me. The thing is it is all up to you and what you want to do. We all have different tastes and while america is still free, for a little bit, do what you want.
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
warrior99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedper View Post
Is this what you were thinking?
I think that looks terrible. It's kind of awkward and you immediately know it's not supposed to look like that.
EDIT: I do however like the license plate
[z] . [z]--O-[z]
warrior99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
UPJ Wheeler

Your an idiot! That willys looks bad a$$!!! definitely NOT a rat rod though, som serious time and cash was for sure put into that thing.
'79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, HEI, T5 World Class, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers

4.0 Head and TBI on the way
UPJ Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check out jp magazine for their rat rod project deal. Waste of space IMO, but theirs isn't my style.

I don't understand rat rods personally. Why spend a ton of cash to go fast if something looks like crap?

The one cool rat rod I have seen however was an old 2wd pickup with a tree stump grown through the front bumper, which the guy left on it. Frame and lower is exceptional condition, Interior is sweet with flat black and surface rust bare metal exterior.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

do it. theres a flat white one by me. not sure cj7 but it is older and turbocharged
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

that pink one is horrible
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

OK here is one. Originally started out as a Postal CJ:

and another:
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Now that's what I'm talking about.

I love the first one you posted John. Do you have any more info on it?
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ahhh No!! But There was!

I was goggling for Hard tops on DJ-5 Postal Jeep hardtops, or some combination like that, when I came across it. I could not find it again.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

That is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I posted this.....

I love those rat rods and to see the Jeep grille on the front end is very different and cool IMO.
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I have thought about this (with a built Chevy small block) to dust the ricers...
The downside is that the wheel base is too short to be really stable under high horsepower acceleration.
IMO it would help the looks a lot to chop the top, keep the tires under the body and extend the hood line & fenders. Stay away from stupid looking pipes through the hood.
Perhaps an inconspicuous We-Haul logo on the side...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.