Crazy decision. Build a car! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crazy decision. Build a car!

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Crazy decision. Build a car!

I i have my 8. Daughter has a zj(17 yrs old. First car etc) she realky really wants a cj. I dont know the laws about dmv and vin. Can i amass parts like frame body etc snd register. What legal stuff do i need. Clearly smog needs attrnding to. Can i just build it with her from parts?

billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Get a clear title and all is good. Without a title be prepared for the fight of your life here in good ol' Kalif. If you try to assign a VIN as a home built you have to pass 2012 smog standards, or what ever year you finish and try to register it. Also with a home built car you will need to comply with FMVSS standards for the year of title. I don't see that as even an option. So buy a parts Jeep with a title. and use that.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Got it. Thx!
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Make sure you get the firewall VIN, and it matches the windshield VIN. Even if you go w/a new frame and body. It worked for me, but I'm in Pa.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
wm69

If you lived in a free state it would be as easy as buying a vin with title (tub and frame) and then putting the vin plates on your new parts, but in Kali, I doubt there is any way you can do it. My suggestion would be to move to a free state and then build your daughter a CJ. She will thank you for both actions.......

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
B2E
1985 CJ7 

i registered my rig back in june. the po gave up on the dmv back in '98, so the records were dumped. all they required was a title, a smog test/inspection and they did a vin check on the firewall tag-windshield tag-title. good to go. i did it at the dmv a few hours north of you in Fort Bragg.
B2E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Thx for the inputs. I think i can make something work- i can use salvage vins right?
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Yes you can but to put a salvage VIN back on the road you will need to have the vehicle re-certified. That is Smog, lights, safety and brakes. The Vin has to match at all points frame, body, and data plate. In all my years dealing with revised salvage I have never seen anyone check a frame. but the standard is there none the less. Oh and the safety inspections must be preformed by a certified mechanic at an accredited repair shop i.e. a dealership. A side note if you go this route once you have it back on the road your new title will carry on its face "REVISED SALVAGE". Now to some of us this means nothing but it might hurt you if you ever decide to sell it down the road
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.