Crate Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crate Engine

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Crate Engine

I'm doing some research on replacing my I6 258 (84 CJ7) with a crate engine. I'm obviously looking at quality, warranty, COST, shipping, customer service, etc. You know...all the normal stuff. Any suggestions on who to use? I've heard of Marshall, Advance, Jasper, etc.

Also, any suggestions on things to change (cam, etc) when getting a rebuild crate engine?

ClarkGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just read somewhere thatyou can get them through Napa too. I dont have any experience though, just something I read. Around $1400 for the 258, I think.

What motor are you thinking of dropping in?
Unread 01-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Javelina

These are the companies I looked at while I was shopping around.

Marshall Engines
Precision Engine
ATK Engines
Promar Engines
Titan Engines
Jasper Engines

Most of these guys build these engines as soon as they get them, so when you order; they just take one off the shelf and send it out. However, Titan was willing to remanufacture my engine to any spec I wanted and I felt like the price was reasonable, however, I wanted a better warranty and I couldn't wait for the turn around time (this is my DD), so I went with Marshall based on price, parts, shipping, and customer service. I didn't go with an Autozone (or any other parts store engine, because I had just read too many horror stories and honestly, some from very satisfied customers). It seems that the parts stores buy the engines from a variety of manufacturers and there just doesn't seem to be any parity from engine to engine depending on who supplies it and I didn’t want to take the chance of getting an engine from one of the crappy suppliers.

Whatever you do, just buy the engine that seems to fit what you want.
Texas Jeep Owners Club Member #51

Last edited by Javelina; 01-30-2007 at 11:11 AM..
Javelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark
What motor are you thinking of dropping in?
I'll be doing a one-for-one swap....258 and 258. I'm thinking of going with the Weber or Motorcraft carb and dual exhaust while I'm at it. Also, replacing the clutch while I'm that far into it.

What about lifting? I've heard that you can rent the 'cherry picker' to lift and drop the engine.
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Javelina

Here is a better run down of the information I gathered during my research.

COST

Jasper and ATK where the most expensive of the companies I looked at, around $2500 for the engines not including core charges and shipping.

Promar’s engines ran about $1700, which included shipping. They charge no core unless you don’t have one or they don’t receive it in 30 days.

Marshall, Precision, and Titan were all around $1300 plus core charges and shipping.

SHIPPING

With Jasper and ATK I never found out what the shipping was, because I couldn’t get over the price of their engines compared to everyone else.

Promar includes shipping in the total cost.

Marshall charged me $58 dollars round trip.

Titan quoted me $175.

Precision is only 60 miles away, so their shipping costs aren’t really comparable. (But somehow more than Marshall?)

WARRANTY

Jasper - 3 Years/75,000 miles

ATK - 3 Years/Unlimited miles

Promar - 3 Years/Unlimited miles

Marshall - 3 Years/100,000 miles

Titan - 3 Years/36,000 miles

Precision - 1 Year/Unlimited miles

QUALITY

All of these companies used parts from reputable companies such as Melling, Cloyes, Clevite, Fel-Pro, Speed Pro, etc. Or they at least claimed to.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Jasper and ATK - Sent an email, got a form letter back.

Promar - Call and ask for Brian (Nice guy, seemed kind of busy)

Marshall - Handled everything with Michelle

Titan - Ask for Chuck

Precision - Yeah, I never called them due to the warranty.

As for upgrades, the only thing I really wanted to do was put a cam in it, I’ve been eyeing the Crane Truck Power Cam - it’s part number 753905 which requires the lifter set 99278-12. I chose this cam because it provides more lower end torque and can be used without any additional upgrades to the valve train.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Javelina; 01-27-2007 at 10:39 PM..
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jones
These are the companies I looked at while I was shopping around.

Marshall Engines
Precision Engine
ATK Engines
Promar Engines
Titan Engines
Jasper Engines
Did you find the prices comparable? I've heard a few stories about Jasper ...good and bad. How about you?

Actually, Dr Jones, you got me thinking about going with the crate engine instead of getting a rebuild locally. I've got a friend who said he'd help me get it dropped in and he's more knowledgeable about the fine details. By the way, how's your's running?
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Javelina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Actually, Dr Jones, you got me thinking about going with the crate engine instead of getting a rebuild locally. I've got a friend who said he'd help me get it dropped in and he's more knowledgeable about the fine details. By the way, how's your's running?
I won't be able to answer that for another week or two. We managed to get all of the wiring labled and the engine out today. Then we powerwashed the entire engine bay out. After that we got the new motor mounts, trans mount, and torque arm mounts in. The engine is yet to come.
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
SmichaelR22
1975 CJ5 

i got my 258 factory rebuilt long block for 790$ plus 204$ core charge, 73$ tax for a total of 1067$, i think the frieght was less than 100$, they would have refunded the core fee if i sent my old block back, but wasnt worth the 100$ after shipping or the hassel to me.

just had to use the same oil pan, valve cover and timing cover, electrics, everything else was new. i am happy with the motor so far. i believe it had some sort of warranty that i probably should have filled out and sent back....

Flightline Engine supply, AK
SmichaelR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Doc.

That was very helpful information. I was sending the one message while you obviously composed the last one. ...again...THANKS.
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Javelina

No Problem, good luck and let us know what you do!
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

wow,I cant believe that Jasper wanted that much..Not saying you B.Sin or anything..I got a jasper 302 a couple years ago and it was around 1400..Maybe due to the fact that there Somewhat harder t come by than a 302..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Javelina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambeled
wow,I cant believe that Jasper wanted that much..Not saying you B.Sin or anything..I got a jasper 302 a couple years ago and it was around 1400..Maybe due to the fact that there Somewhat harder t come by than a 302..
For the motor with comparable components to the one I bought

Last edited by Javelina; 02-07-2007 at 05:59 PM..
Unread 01-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

thats nuts...
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I got mine through Advance Auto (remanufactured by "Recon"). Complete engine minus intake, exhaust, alternator, and PS. $1400 with a good warranty, and since I picked it up at the store there was no shipping.
Runs real good and I'm very happy with it.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmichaelR22
i got my 258 factory rebuilt long block for 790$ plus 204$ core charge, 73$ tax for a total of 1067$, i think the frieght was less than 100$, they would have refunded the core fee if i sent my old block back, but wasnt worth the 100$ after shipping or the hassel to me.

just had to use the same oil pan, valve cover and timing cover, electrics, everything else was new. i am happy with the motor so far. i believe it had some sort of warranty that i probably should have filled out and sent back....

Flightline Engine supply, AK
SmichaelR22, does Flightline have a website?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.