Crankcase Breather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Crankcase Breather

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-15-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
MudLover

Crankcase Breather

Ok, I don't have the stock air filter assembly on my 258, which may be one of the reasons I'm having the problem I'm about to describe. The line which runs from the back of the crankcase to the air filter is throwing oil into the carb. I got a new air filter about 2 weeks ago, and it is almost completly black from the oil. How can I fix this? Can I just make the line longer or is there I filter I can stick in the line? I thought this tube was only suposed to carry air into the carb from the crankcase. What if I just put some cotton in the line? Will that help take the oil out or is that just running a huge risk of the cotton being sucked into the engine?

HELP!!!
Marc

[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
goody350s

i was told you will have a little blow by from the crankcase
but to me from what you are describing sounds exessive
im not quite sure what causes the blowby you are having
hopefully someone with more knowledge will get in here
and help you out further
im just gonna throw this out and if im wrong im sorry
but maybe it has somthing to do with worn out rings
which would let the oil by easier i dont know
just trying to trow some ideas out
i dont think you would want to stuff cotton down the line
i think that would defeat the porpose of why the line is there
i have seen the breathers out there that are filtered
but to me that is puting a bandaid over a problem
that is still going to be there
anyway thats my.02
Unread 06-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
CJchris

The only thing I can think of is that you might have too much oil in your engine. If you do, the crank will hit the oil in the pan while it is spinning and make it foam up, which could get it into the breather tube. I wouldn't put cotton or anything in the tube either. Have you noticed any other problems, smoking, etc.? You also posted about having a gas smell in your garage, is that only since you out the new filter on, or have you always had that problem? I don't know how they could be related, but its something to think about.
Unread 06-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
MudLover

The gas smell's been there for a long time, so I don't think it stems from this problem.

Marc
Unread 06-15-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

How many miles on the engine......sounds like blow-by.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:02 AM   #6
MudLover

Odometer reads 112000, and I dunno when the last rebuild was.

Marc
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #7
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Blow by is the problem. Just take the line off at the air cleaner and route it towards the ground. You don't need it to recirculate. That way you can save the air filters. Make sure you plug the hole in the air cleaner so its not sucking dirty air through your motor

I had the same problem once I put on my weber and that's what I did to 'fix' it. (or at least save the air filter)
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #8
MudLover

Quote:
Originally posted by mxg342
Blow by is the problem. Just take the line off at the air cleaner and route it towards the ground. You don't need it to recirculate. That way you can save the air filters. Make sure you plug the hole in the air cleaner so its not sucking dirty air through your motor

I had the same problem once I put on my weber and that's what I did to 'fix' it. (or at least save the air filter)
That's a good idea, but it only sounds like a temporary fix. What causes the "blow by"?

Thanks,
Marc
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:24 PM   #9
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The cause is a tired engine. The clearances are getting excessive causing oil to pass by certain components e.g. piston rings, valve guides.
Unread 06-17-2003, 01:49 AM   #10
MudLover

So, do you think a rebuild is in order fot this engine? It's been giving me all sorts of trouble lately. It now shoots huge clouds of smoke in 3rd and 4th if the engine's not warm.

Thanks,
Marc
Unread 06-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I wouldn't rebuild unless I had to. I rebuilt my El Camino when it simply wouldn't pass smog no matter what I did to the carb, tune ect. I won't rebuild my 258 until it won't pass smog, or it won't get me where I want to go reliably.
Unread 06-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #12
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

I have one comment on the routing of the line downwards instead of going to the air filter. The line goes through the air filter to filter incoming air to the crankcase. With the line routed downward you will risk sucking in dirty/wet air from the engine bay. I would install a K&N breather/filter to avoid dirty air from entering the crankcase. When it gets dirty clean it, re-oil it, and put it back on.
'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2003, 12:21 PM   #13
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Why not get yourself a stock air filter assembly and use the little oil trap filter (small square piece for like 2 bucks at Napa) that the CCV hose from the back of the engine feeds into.

i had the same issue with my 84...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.