cracked pumpkin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cracked pumpkin

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
rustyCJ

cracked pumpkin

I have a crack in my axle pumpkin where the axle tube enters it on my front 30. the crack is on the top and I can tell that the weight of the jeep will slowly spread it open. the crack is on the short tube side and the spring U-bolt wraps over it. heres the question, can i weld the pumpkin/axle tube or when I'm driving down the road will the axle snap in two? Anyone done this to an axle before?

rustyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
dana60cj

No, I have not done this before first off.

Welds make the original metal stronger so they say. They must be the welders union.

If it is near that u-bolt who knows how far it goes into the pumpkin? A weld should hold for a while. If you do weld it make sure the areas that are cracked are flush. Just jack up the jeep by the pumpkin and the weight from the rest of the other end of the axle will make them flush.

Geeeeeesh did You do this? Time for a Dana 44 or a 60?
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I'm sure someone will disagree with this, but if it were me, I would replace the housing as the Dana 30 is a common unit. I'm surprised it cracked on the short side as they are more common to crack on the long side. Yes, you could weld it, but what else is bent/damaged that caused the crack or is a result of the crack? If you have high miles on yours and find a good used one, swap it straight up if your gears match, OR rebuid it and have a solid axle when done.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2002, 11:22 PM   #4
CSP

Welds don't necessarily make the original metal stronger. Usually the weld itself is stronger than the metal around it.

No matter what the case is there's no way I would try this. The problem is the pumpkin is cast iron. It is not steel and becomes very brittle when you weld it. Brittle means it will crack even worse than before the "repair". It's possible to weld cast, but there is a very precise procedure (preheating and slow cooling) that must be taken and the proper kind of rod must be used. Also, since the axle tube has already made the crack wider you no doubt already have a tube that's out of alignment. The tubes are a press fit into the center section and you'll never get the tight tolerances needed for seal life, gear wear, wheel alignment, etc..

Dana 30's are a dime a dozen if you look in the right places. You should be able to find one fairly cheaply from someone upgrading their old axles. An upgrade to a Dana 44 is an even better idea.

Last edited by CSP; 09-20-2002 at 12:21 PM..
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:36 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

If you have a Narrow Trac, I have 4 Dana 30 Front Axle Units for sale for $150/ea. Some have disc brake setups, some have the 11" drum setup.

Should you decide to replace it, you can email me at ericnmish@yahoo.com. All have 3.54 gears.

4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2002, 08:34 AM   #6
werewolf7111

its best you DON'T attempt repair

CSP gave you some sound advice. I dont generally respond to posts but I have decades of designing machines and "upgrading" jeeps and I am going to tell you the caveats of what you may be thinking and as an engineer, why its not best you attempt it.

pumpkin- this is an investment casting( a coarse grain) which is NOT designed for axial load in an X and Y plane( up/down, back/forth)- due to the extremely low carbon content and high molecular clearance of a casting by design, if you apply heat, you will definitely alter the grain structure and cause further down range problems

shaft tube- this is cold rolled drawn tubing- the problem here is 2 different metals and a different coeffecient of thermal expansion- plus you "see" this crack but you DONT see the runners( only ultrasonic testing can find these) so you will just end up "moving" the "crack" ( in engineer speak- a "crack" is molecular in nature and has yet to break the surface- when it has, its referred to as a fissure)

alignment- assuming you wanted to proceed- you would need to have the unit cryogenically stress relieved- then jigged and lasered to find true alignment-then uniformly heated- then welded- then cryoed again- it aint worth it
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.