Is the cowl flat or is there a slight angle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is the cowl flat or is there a slight angle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Is the cowl flat or is there a slight angle?

I'm trying to fit a new cowl seal between a new philippines repli-tub and an aftermarket windshield frame - the leak-proofing game gets even harder with this combination. But before it start to put lots of sealant on every possible spot i would like to get the basics right: Is the top-cowl-section of the oem-body leveled and straight or does it have a slight angle?

On my repli-tub the back edge of the cowl is a bit higher than the front edge as you can see on the picture. Thanks for your help

momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The windshield frame-cowl seal will make up any difference between the two. I put a small bead of black RTV under the top-outside edge of the seal to keep it stuck to the windshield frame. I also sealed the hinges to the windshield frame to keep any water out from under them as well.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

My brain kept thinking about this and I finally had to go out and check my spare tub to see. The angle is the same as yours.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
I'm trying to fit a new cowl seal between a new philippines repli-tub and an aftermarket windshield frame - the leak-proofing game gets even harder with this combination. But before it start to put lots of sealant on every possible spot i would like to get the basics right: Is the top-cowl-section of the oem-body leveled and straight or does it have a slight angle?

On my repli-tub the back edge of the cowl is a bit higher than the front edge as you can see on the picture. Thanks for your help
Strange, my repli-tub (bought in 2006) was pretty much level, as was the original. Heck, that was about the only thing the two had in common. These pictures may not be to clear but best I could find. First is the original (fresh sand blast color), second is the repli-tub (yellow).

Good Luck
scram-wind-deck.jpg   scram-020t.jpg  
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

My spare tub is an original, from the factory tub from a 1982. It is slightly angled..

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
momo2
1980 CJ7 

So that's one vote for flat and one vote for slightly angled. Anyone else?
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Both my 84 OEM tub and MD Juan Philippine tub are both level.

OEM tub:

Repli-tub:

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
So that's one vote for flat and one vote for slightly angled. Anyone else?
Counting yours, it's tied up at 2-2. Maybe a coin toss for the tie breaker?

Are you having problems with leaking, or just concerned about fitment? Like 82JeepCJ7 mentioned the cowl seal should make up the difference, but test fitting should confirm that. My biggest problem was the width of the repli-tub at the windshield was about 5/16" less than the original and the aftermarket windshield frame. This made the fitment of the hinges a problem. I had to weld side plates to the tub to increase the width.

Good Luck
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
momo2
1980 CJ7 

The Jeep gets currently restored and hasn't seen the streets since two and a half years, so no leaking there. The first cowl seal i tried was so stiff at the hinge parts, that i couldn't fold the windshield back and get enough pressure for the middle part at the same. With the new seal - thanks to keith for this shopping hint - it's much better. Still theres is a slight gap in the middle probably because the windshield frame ist bent inwards at this section. It think i will put some thin rubber strip or some weatherstrip caulk there. No issuse with the body being not wide enough on my repli-tub
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Just curious (I don't think I read it in earlier posts)...what "shopping hint" did Keith give?
dnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
momo2
1980 CJ7 

The shopping hint was not in this thread. If you search for "best cowl seal" on ebay you will find the best cowl seal. And it will be easier for you than for me. Because the seller doesn't ship outside the country I needed the help of a michigan friend to get it to austria.
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Thanks Vienna
dnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
momo2
1980 CJ7 

the seller is called cjlaredo if you don't find it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.