Coverting to power brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coverting to power brakes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
RoytheBoy

Coverting to power brakes

I'm seriously considering updating my 1986 CJ 7 to power brakes by adding a booster , either single or dual diaphragm. My question is, will the existing master cylinder work with a booster or will I have to swap it out. Its fairly new so its a bit of a waste to toss it.

RoytheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

Swap it to one that's properly matched to the booster. I used the duel diaphram Navaho from Off Again Offroad; it works great, bolt-in set-up.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytheBoy View Post
I'm seriously considering updating my 1986 CJ 7 to power brakes by adding a booster , either single or dual diaphragm. My question is, will the existing master cylinder work with a booster...
No. They're different.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Power brakes

You will have to change your master cylinder as they are different. There is a machined shaft that is about 1 to 1.5 inches long that goes into the end of the master cylinder plunger.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
CJput
1977 CJ7 

Brakes

http://davescustoms4wd.com/mm5/merch...ory_Code=PBCK3
CJput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.