Couple of Questions - Seats and York - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Couple of Questions - Seats and York

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Couple of Questions - Seats and York

Hey all, while my questions aren't strictly CJ related, they're mounted in a CJ and perhaps other have ran into similar situations.

The first question is about seats. I have a 'new' set of seats that I would like to mount in my 74' CJ5. As much as I love the look of the low backs the misses does not feel safe in them. So for now I found a cheaper set of buckets so at least she doesn't feel like she's falling out on the trail. The problem I have is I'm not sure whats a safe way of adapting them. Also, because it is a 74' my passenger seat's brackets have a hinge to access the storage box underneath.

My first though was to just get some 1/4" flat stock and make some straps going across to adapt the new seat's bolt pattern to the old one. Would this be safe? Any thoughts?

My second question is about the york compressor that came with my heep. It wasn't hooked up to anything (output) and I'm not 100% sure how I connect it. Looks to me like it only has a barbed output, are people generally just hose clamping a hose on? or are there actually threads back in there somewhere.

FallibleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Not sure about your york. But as far as seat mounting. Generally whatever you got of decent thickness will work. Im a strong heavy guy and if bend it using my weight or muscle it will work fine. Flat isnt the best though unless its a thick plate. Try maybe some angle with one side trimmed and clever notching. Just gotta be careful cause an inch can make a big difference in a cj 5.
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Also welding whatever you make in place is alot more rigid than bolting. Cheap lil hobby welder at harbor freight or tractor supply are perfect for that stuff for under 100 bucks. If you dont have access to a welder.
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Thanks Maverick. After a few hours of no replies I decided to just give it a shot and bolted it all together. I sat in them and decided that I hated the seats anyways. They lean too far back even with spacers and are very narrow for generous waste line.
FallibleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.