Couple o' CJ - YJ interchangeability questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Couple o' CJ - YJ interchangeability questions...

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Couple o' CJ - YJ interchangeability questions...

Noob here again.......Sorta Noob, anyways - The previous CJ's I've owned were all CJ since at that time, that's all there was.

I recently bought a CJ/YJ hybrid as an alrready started project to finish. PO put a YJ tub on an 80 CJ and I figured it must have been an easy swap. In digging around, I've found a few things that beg a question or two.

First, there is no backup light harness. I'm getting ready to order the first batch of stuff, this harness being in the batch. My question is, where does it plug in the the main harness? I know it attaches to the switch on the trans, but it T's from there, and I don't see any empty connectors fpr it to plug into.

Second question - Any easy way to tell whether I have a CJ or YJ heater box? There seems to be a sizeable blast of cold air coming in at the passenger floorboard, so my assumtion is he kept the CJ heater box and stuck it in the YJ tub best he could, and it's not fitting as well as it should.

All my previous CJ's never needed any extensive work - this one is going to be a whole nuther deal. I'm looking forward to fixing this one up - it has several small issues, then it just needs paint. I'm hoping to get it done before you folks get tired of me asking stoopid questions

Shum8

shum8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Ollie09
1983 CJ7 

This thread shows a picture of both.

Gary

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...boxes-1306816/
Ollie09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

You need to determine if you have a CJ or YJ harness. Im assuming they used the CJ dash. One the engine side of the firewall between the battery and engine, the harness should have a small section with I believe 3 or 4 wires coming out to a flat black plastic plug. This is where the transmission wires hook up for the reverse lights and 4 wheel drive light. .I read yours is missing? There are two common types. One for the T-176 type which is a two blade flate prong and the SR4 T4 T5 type is two round studs.
Are your dash cables hooked up? I ask as they don't really work with the YJ box. An easy way to tell is the brackets for the YJ box will have small square holes where the cables snap in. The CJ type will have a shape of "U" on the brackets before the levers. Also the YJ have a vac operated cowl vent door. CJs are cable.

Maybe some pics will help us see any other "issues"

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Im assuming they used the CJ dash.
Yep - CJ dash

Quote:
One the engine side of the firewall between the battery and engine, the harness should have a small section with I believe 3 or 4 wires coming out to a flat black plastic plug. This is where the transmission wires hook up for the reverse lights and 4 wheel drive light. I read yours is missing?
There is no plug on the transmission switch - hence no back up lights. Funny thing is the 4 wheel drive light works off and on. I've looked around underneath, and don't see any sign of the harness for the backup lights.

Quote:
There are two common types. One for the T-176 type which is a two blade flate prong and the SR4 T4 T5 type is two round studs.
Are your dash cables hooked up?
Yes, sorta. The vent cable doesn't do anything, and the temp cable doesn't seem to alter the temp. Floor / defrost cable works. I just need to pull the dash and see what the heck's going once warm weather gets here.

Quote:
I ask as they don't really work with the YJ box. An easy way to tell is the brackets for the YJ box will have small square holes where the cables snap in. The CJ type will have a shape of "U" on the brackets before the levers. Also the YJ have a vac operated cowl vent door. CJs are cable.
Quote:
Maybe some pics will help us see any other "issues"
Right you are - Pics are much better. I'll take a few and post 'em.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the help.

Shum8
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Ok - I took a few pics when I got home. They are of a connector that is part of a small loom that enters from the rear of the fuse block. This is the one that matches the description of the T176 transmission connector. I assume I am missing the whole backup light harness? Wonder why the 4WD light will light occasionaly? Guess I shout name this one "Christine".........

Thanks in advance for the help - I really appreciate it.

Shum8
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

No that is for the brake light via the proportioning valve down by the clutch linkage. Go to the other side of the engine and as the harness crosses over the valve cover area, there is a four wire flat black plug. The fact your 4 wheel drive light comes on at all tell me you have the harness plugged in. Follow this harness under the right side of the trans tunnel and you should find it forks. One side goes to the t case, and the other has the trans reverse plug. Propoly not plugged in and dangling somewhere just out of sight.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I believe he's talking about this one.

Bill
forumrunner_20120104_180606.jpg  
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Well, we're making progress. This one was on the other side - empty.

I agree that the fact the 4WD light comes on at all meens something is connected. I'll crawl under it tomorrow and see if I can find the other end of the harness.
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Bill -
That looks remarkably like the one I found empty....... So much for progress - LOL. I'm trying to get in touch with the PO to see exactly what harness is in the Jeep. I can't wait to see why the 4WD light will occasionaly come on if the harness isn't there.

That does it - "Christine" it is.

Robert
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Sorry if I missed it, I looked twice. I looks like you have a SBC, and a automatic, what transmission and transfer case? why not take a few and fill out your profile.
On edit, when you say the 4wd light come on sometimes, even when its not in 4wd? IIRC the transfer case switch turns on the ground for the light, in the dash. It may be getting a ground from a bare wire.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Sorry bout that - just updated. This one has an AMC304, T176 and Dana 300.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
On edit, when you say the 4wd light come on sometimes, even when its not in 4wd? IIRC the transfer case switch turns on the ground for the light, in the dash. It may be getting a ground from a bare wire.

Bill
Well, that explains that - yeah, it was on yesterday for a short period of time, no mater the position of the TC stick. Figures it colder than a welldiggers arse here now - soon as it gets a bit warmer, I'm diggin in again.
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Well, spoke to the PO about the back up lights - when he said all that needed to be done was to "just hook 'em up". he left out the part about the whole dang backup light harness wasn't there...... Was hopin I'd get to buy a new one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.