Couldn't identify this part? Is it necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Couldn't identify this part? Is it necessary?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Couldn't identify this part? Is it necessary?

Ive been browsing some front axle pics on the net, just to see how the damper was aligned in other cars, I had problems damper hitting the diffretial and tierods hitting the leaves.

Then I realized no other cars had this odd bar, looks kinda like a sway bar of some sort.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

One end of the bar is linked on to the bottom of the chassis, and other end on the same metal part with dampener.

What is it, and what happens when I take it off?

thank you

LordSul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

It is a panhard rod or tracking bar. It is designed to minimize the amount of movement between the chassis and the axle. It will help eliminate steering slop by keeping the shackles from flexing when turning. These sometimes need to be lengthened or removed if your running a lift and it pulls the axle off center.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Don't they have to be mounted the other way to be parallel with the steering drag link? Like on the YJ and TJ?
Still, that looks original.

Now I'm going have to go through my parts list and see if there is a panhard rod for export vehicals....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wait a min, what side is your steering wheel on?

I did find this:
But they are for the XJ and SJ
trackbar.jpg  
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Steering wheel is on the left side!..?

Im probably going to take it off, when Im doing my suspension lift soon.
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

YJ'S are close to being parallel, 1.5" off over the length of the rod. The end on the axle tube is mounted above the tube on a bracket. And YJ's are mounted the same as the picture, the panhard is mounted on the frame above the pumpkin.
The drag link appears to be shorter than CJ's, probley just the picture.
There also appears to be a small spring lift on the Jeep, going from the distance between the bump stop and axle tube. Also the angle of the drag link compared to the tie rod.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
LordSul
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the inputs,
Today I was horrified when I saw the metal piece ,where this panhard bar and steering damnper are connected, is loose and is not welded back to the axle..:O so its just moving and wobbling around as I drive around corners...:O Sounds dangerous to me.

I have one messed up front axle and rods, when I rotate the steering wheel, rods and steering dampener hits the leaf springs and rod hits the diff, maybe because of my too long shackles....gonna change them in a week, hope this issue gets solved, ideas please....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.