Could someone with a Willys help me out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Could someone with a Willys help me out?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Could someone with a Willys help me out?

Hello,

I'm usually in the WJ forum, that's what I have for a 4x4 these days. My hobby is RC vehicles, specifically off road type of rigs in different scales. My favorite toy is a 1/6 scale MB military Jerp from Hasbro that has been converted into RC.

Tons of fun with the fabrication of the drive train and 'cage among other things. I'm in the process of making a CJ style grill for the front, right now it has the flat-slat style of the earliest MB's. I have designed the grill in Inventor and I have a 3D printed part made, now I'm designing some headlight buckets and lenses. Here's where I could use a bit of help.

Could someone possible post a very clear pic of the lense of an original head light? I want to add the appropriate detail to my 3D model so when I make a mold from the 3D printed part, the detail will show up in the acrylic part.

Here's a few screen shots of where I'm at right now.

Thanks for any help!

2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

That first picture fooled me!
I was thinking, WOW! Little flat fender doing it!

For an ACCURATE head light, you will have to find old military pictures. The type of head light used in MB (War Production) isn't made anymore. It was a CLEAR lense so it could be flipped back to work on the engine, or used as a spot light at work sites.
The clear lense was also for black out with a little paint or black out cover so the light didn't scatter when used with black out devices...
I tried to find some for my '48 for about a year, couldn't find any...
The closest I found was 80s BMW lights with clear lenses, but not the same back reflector as the war production lights.

You may have to stick with something like a BMW clear lense (no ribs or pattern) from the 80's or go with a modern head light...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

The detailing could be from any Willys CJ, I'd just like to have some type of detail in the headlight lense. I've already cast clear ones and the just didn't look right to me. Thanks for the reply about the realism, it's what I try to do. The Jerps are mainly "trail ride" rigs, so everyone tries to make them as detailed as possible. It's always fun while someone sees the working winch for the first time.
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Here's an engine for it, not that you asked!
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Simply amazing. Those look more realistic than my real CJ does.
RC cars sure have came a long ways. How much money does it cost to build something like that?
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Cool, but I have enough expensive 'Hobbies'...
I'll just marvel at his for a while longer...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Simply amazing. Those look more realistic than my real CJ does.
RC cars sure have came a long ways. How much money does it cost to build something like that?
Thanks

This is generally how they all start out.

These were originally designed as a push toy for a kid to play with in the back yard.

With a bit of ingenuity they are able to be converted into a fun RC vehicle. The cost can be anywhere from a few hundred $$ to mind numbing amounts of money, it just depends on how far you want to take the realism. If you are just getting started into RC, the biggest expenses are quality transmitter ( radio) and receivers and batteries. I use radio gear made for air craft so I have 6 open channels to work with. Each 'operation' uses 1 channel.

For example, the steering uses 1 channel, the forward and reverse use another channel. The winch uses a dedicated channel. The lights can be turned on and off from the radio, so there's another channel used up.

If anyone is interested in seeing more off-road RC's, just hit up YouTube and search for 'RC Rock crawlers'. You can get into a mass produced, ready to run rig for around $300 that is a hobby grade RC, meaning that the vehicles are designed to be fixed if you manage to break a component.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.